• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

move movies to external HD

Reaction score
iMovie question
I have been filling up my hard drive and it is time to clean it off.
I want to be able to move the raw files over but want to know if they will stay linked to the projects?
I don't have the HD yet but I am assuming it will show up in the event library and I should be able to drag and drop the events, correct?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which iMovie are you using? If iMovie11, when you plug in your external drive, you should get drive icons in both the Project and Events Libraries.

If you want to move a project to the external drive, just drag it to the icon in the Project library. You will be asked whether you want to transfer the associaited Events as well. If you want to work on the Project on another Mac, your answer will have to be yes. If not then you can leave the Events where they are.

However as the Events take up most of the space, you won't be saving much. Also, if you subsequently delete those Events, then the Project won't load.

OP
M
Reaction score
missing something

Which iMovie are you using? If iMovie11, when you plug in your external drive, you should get drive icons in both the Project and Events Libraries.

If you want to move a project to the external drive, just drag it to the icon in the Project library. You will be asked whether you want to transfer the associaited Events as well. If you want to work on the Project on another Mac, your answer will have to be yes. If not then you can leave the Events where they are.

However as the Events take up most of the space, you won't be saving much. Also, if you subsequently delete those Events, then the Project won't load.

Ok, I'm obviously missing something. I'm using iMovie 11.
I plugged in an older HD as a test. I see it in the Event Library but not in the Project Library. In fact I don't even see "Macintosh HD" in the Project Library. I just see the 8 projects I have made then above that "Edit Project" if I click into it, I go into the project as if I am building/editing it.
Honestly, I think I'm doing things out of sequence sometimes. The other issue I have is when I upload my clips to the Event I create in the Event Library, the thumbnail clips are never in the right order. They are being downloaded from a ContourGPS and have the file name: File001, 002 etc but when I upload them they are all jumbled up.
Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I see it in the Event Library but not in the Project Library.
It should be right at the bottom of your list of Projects in the Project library. That's where it is for me. However, the instructions in iMovie Help don't actually mention this location. They just mention the one in the Events Library and tell you to drag Projects there, so give that a try.

I use a MiniDV camcorder, so can't help with your events being out of order, I'm afraid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.