What's a better OS for a beginner FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or Ubuntu?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this is a Mac forum. My technical, setting up questions, and so on will go on either a BSD, or Linux forum.

I'm a beginner to both Linux, and BSD such as Unix.

I'm going to see how I can post a poll for some opinions. What would be good UI so I can remain to have my Windows 7? I'll post the list of the 3 below. I'm not looking to learn the commands. I'm only looking for security, well kind of, and a nice UI.

Ubuntu Linux

FreeBSD

OpenBSD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this is a Mac forum. My technical, setting up questions, and so on will go on either a BSD, or Linux forum.

I'm a beginner to both Linux, and BSD such as Unix.

I'm going to see how I can post a poll for some opinions. What would be good UI so I can remain to have my Windows 7? I'll post the list of the 3 below. I'm not looking to learn the commands. I'm only looking for security, well kind of, and a nice UI.

Ubuntu Linux

FreeBSD

OpenBSD

Ubuntu has very friendly forums to help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What would be good UI so I can remain to have my Windows 7?
What do you mean by this?

If you're not looking to learn the command line, stay away from FreeBSD and OpenBSD. You could try PCBSD if you really want to try BSD but don't want to get your "hands dirty" so to speak. If you don't care which OS you learn (Linux and BSD are two completely different operating systems), I'd suggest that you start with Linux.

Just a heads up - you'll have to hit the command line at some point regardless of whichever you choose (you might be able to avoid it but I doubt it).

Also, note that OS X is a Unix operating system with a nice UI and solid security. ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. What free OS I can dual boot that has a solid security without getting into commands? I rather try something more security minus PCBSD.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How secure do you want? There are OSes (or variations) tailored to security. Linux is secure and can be tweaked to be more/less secure (like any OS). Various distributions of Linux have some decent graphical configuration tools as well.

What is this for? Odds are that there is a distribution of a free OS out there that will be tailored to your needs.

OP
P
Reaction score
It's for me. It's for my own PC. I am looking for a nice UI, and very secured.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would stick with Ubuntu 11.4 for now. It's secure, well supported, and has one of the best Linux forums on the web. Also, lots of folks who post there are also Mac owners and can provide you with helpful hints.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.