10810 may have me licked on my first year, first Mac

Reaction score
I have just wasted an entire day trying to figure out what people are even talking about with this error. O.K. so I can't use my Mac for anything, whatever I try in the way of the fix seems to stall out and the computer doesn't freeze, it just won't open anything.

This is my first Mac, and I have been backing up using an external, partitioned, Terabyte drive. I may have unplugged it incorrectly. Now the computer seems to be unable to close anything. Sometimes after a forced (hold power button down) shutdown, the finder might appear to be functioning, but you can't access it without winding back up where you started, with a set of icons that appear and disappear, and even a reboot from the installation disk couldn't complete.

So, first Mac, and in about the time it takes a PC to break down my twice-as-expensive Mac has broken down. I admit, I can't understand what Mac users are saying to each other. So I don't know enough to fix it, and I'm left wondering if this really is a better product.

Without already knowing everything about a Mac, can I fix this? Or should I sell it for whatever i can get used, and go back to the PC where problems occured more often, but some kind of set of instructions could usually be found, understood, and followed.

Any comprehensible instructions or advice will be appreciated, no matter how this ends. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You don't exactly sound open-minded about learning anything about your Mac. Why switch to a completely different OS if at the first sign of problems you want to switch back to a familiar set of problems? Seems odd to me.

If you truly want help (which is why you came here, right?), explain what your problem is, when it happened (and how it happened if you think you know what caused it), and what exactly you have done to try and fix it. Then we'll go from there. Be patient and try to learn/understand what we will be saying to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was open-minded at 5:30 a.m. I confess, I am less convinced now that I can find a source that even knows the fix.

I turned on the Mac. The finder is not indicating that it is "on" (there is no white circle next to it). Safari "bounces" sideways, but also doesn't evern indicate that it is "on" by showing a white circle.

I try to shut down Safari, it won't. The drop-down menu appears and I can click on "shut down" once. Nothing happens. If I try to access the drop-down menu again, it will show up, but nothing makes anything actually happen.

At this point I have a computer that won't shut down. This time I'll let it run out of power, will that help? I'd like to have it restart, somehow, and allow a fix on this. But the one time I did get to the disc utility (I think it was called) was when I was trying a restart with the original installation disk. I cannot recall the error message I got that time, but basically it seemed to indicate that it couldn't do something with some kind of files. I forced the DVD to eject, and now it's on and in the state I just described. I'm closing it so it can hibernate until, ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro? I'm guessing it's a notebook since you mentioned battery.

You should be able to insert the install disc, restart and while it is restarting hold the "C" button until your Mac boots into the installer. This can take a while, so be patient and hold the "C" button until you see the Mac startup. Up at the top will be a menu (might have to wait a few seconds for it to show up) and one item should be Utilities. Click on that and select "Disk Utility". When D.U. opens, select your Mac's HDD on the left - it will say MacBook or Ted's Mac or whatever you named it. Then click on the First Aid tab. Click the Verify Permissions button and let it run. Most likely some issues will come up and when it's done, click on Repair Permissions. Then do the same thing with the Verify Disk buttons. It will tell you if anything needs repaired and if there is a problem with your hard drive.

If this is too confusing, you can find YouTube videos showing you step by step.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try what MyMacROX suggested and report back what Disk Utility tells you when it's done with both Permissions and Verify Disk options.

M

MacInWin

I found this post at another Mac support site:

"I do not know how this relates, but every time my batteries on my wireless mouse get low, I get that error and can't open any programs. The second I change my batteries it is fine!!

So strange but seems to fix the problem."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually if the batteries are at the very end of their life, strange behavior like that will happen. Do you have a Wireless Mouse on your Mac?

Exactly which Mac model do you own?

M

MacInWin

There is a 44 page list of posts on this error at Apple support.
Seems to be mostly associated with USB drives, NAS storage and other external storage. If you just disconnected an external drive without dismounting it, or in the middle of some access to it, that may be the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
So you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro? I'm guessing it's a notebook since you mentioned battery.

You should be able to insert the install disc, restart and while it is restarting hold the "C" button until your Mac boots into the installer. This can take a while, so be patient and hold the "C" button until you see the Mac startup. Up at the top will be a menu (might have to wait a few seconds for it to show up) and one item should be Utilities. Click on that and select "Disk Utility". When D.U. opens, select your Mac's HDD on the left - it will say MacBook or Ted's Mac or whatever you named it. Then click on the First Aid tab.

Click the Verify Permissions button and let it run. Most likely some issues will come up and when it's done, click on Repair Permissions. -
I had figured out how to get as far as I crossed off, above. I did not have anything come up when I hit "verify disk permissions", but I clicked on "repair disk permissions" anyway and it is doing some kind of work. Now, a lot of messages are coming up, and it appears to be repairing a lot of things.

Wow, I had no idea that MacForums was this good. This morning, I just couldn't believe what I was reading when it came to fixes, no one gave actual steps for anything I could recognize. But they kept seemingly blaming Safari? (Actually "Snow Leopard"?). I suspect I caused this when I may have incorrectly disconnected my external hard drive. But is this error actually related to the web surfer? Safari? Or Snow Leopard?

And thank you very much for your help, despite my horrid temper. In less than five minutes I am seeing progress being made. I should have tried a forum/board for Mac users in the first place!!!
I am very grateful. Thank you. I'll try the Verify Disk and Repair Disk next, and post how it all worked out.

OP
B
Reaction score
Now it wants ti install Mac OS X

O.K. now it wants to install Mac OS X. I really don't want to mess this up, since it may or may not be fixed, now. I assume I should quit Mac Installer now, is that correct?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and reboot. Keep us posted!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After you select your language look at the top of the screen for the menu bar.

On the menu bar go to Utilities - Disk Utility and follow the directions from MYmacROX. You do not want to proceed with installing OS X at this time. After you run those items, the next thing it will want to do is install - at that point reboot into OS X.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did all of the verifying and repairing, and then quit the installer. I had to choose what to reboot from, so I chose the "HD" option. Hard Drive, I assume.

EDIT:

Now ther is a window in the left corner, and it has a huge X in it. I should install Mac OS X? Or try to close that window?

OP
B
Reaction score
After you select your language look at the top of the screen for the menu bar.

On the menu bar go to Utilities - Disk Utility and follow the directions from MYmacROX. You do not want to proceed with installing OS X at this time. After you run those items, the next thing it will want to do is install - at that point reboot into OS X.

I guess I don't really know what this means. The computer restarted, and I have a window for installing Mac OS X. I am not sure how to restart (reboot) into OS X.

Have I done that already?

OP
B
Reaction score
It seems I got ahead of myself, there. I can't close the Max OS X Install DVD window now, and when I attempted to click on the Finder, error message for 10810 came up again. Again, the mouse moves but won't accomplish anything. I'll go back and reread the thread again.

Thanks for trying!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot with the Mouse Button held down. Right after you press Power and hear the Startup sound, hold down the button on the Mouse/Trackpad and keep it down and the OSX DVD should eject. It then should boot from the hard drive. Keep us posted!

OP
B
Reaction score
I decided to try it all again, and it is in the process of verifying permissions again. 14 minutes.

I think I can follow the instructions, I'm just not sure at what point I need to eject the DVD.

So far I haven't been able to restart (reboot) without just powering down.
I'd like to make sure one time that I'm doing the right thing. After I verify and repair all permissions and the Macintosh HD disk, I do not do the same with BOOTCAMP, do I? It is under the Mac HD, but I'm assuming I don't touch it.

So, when the permissions repair, the disk "Macintosh HD"is verified and then repaired, then I'll choose the Macintosh HDD choice to reboot. Not the DVD that is in the computer, I'm trying to get it to restart on its own hard drive.

And if it can do that, it should be repaired?

C

chas_m

Ah, if only we'd gotten the full story from the beginning. Would have saved a lot of time.

So what you're saying NOW is that you also have a Windows partition, is this correct?

Which "side" were you in when you "incorrectly" unplugged the external, and how is that drive formatted?

OP
B
Reaction score
I just keep getting back where I started. It was good to see how the disk repair actually works, but with all that it seemed to do, I always either get stuck at the same old screen, for a brief time I appear to be able to access something via the drop-down menu, then it's back to being on and stuck.

I'll find out if it needs to be shipped back to the manufacturer. I won't even be able to look into it for a week, I was hoping for a fix that would have it up and running by the weekend. At least it is under warranty, and maybe in a few weeks it can be fixed.

Thanks so much for trying.

M

MacInWin

Do you have anything on the Mac that is critical to you? If not, the easiest thing may be to reinstall OSX and start fresh. If you do have stuff that is critical, sending it in for repair is likely to lose that data, so reinstalling is still worth considering before you ship it anywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.