Menu Keyboard Underlined Shortcuts

Reaction score
Is there a way to have my Mac show me Menu Keyboard Underlined Shortcuts like I used to get in Windows?
8250d1206039218-keyboard-menu-underline-short-cuts-underline_text.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The keyboard shortcuts are defined in the menu windows by default as such.

⌘ - Command
⇧ - Shift
⎋ - Escape
⌥ - Option

In windows menu's there is generally only one modifier key, this is not true in OS X, so simply underlining would not help. There are also combinations as shown (to close window in Firefox with Shift-Command-w below)

Screen shot 2011-08-12 at 4.41.51 AM.png

OP
John Greer
Reaction score
Just to clarify, when I right-click on something, I get a pull down menu similar to the Windows menu I included above. In Windows, I can press the key that is underlined and that command will be entered. Can the Mac OS do the same thing?

For example, right-clicking on almost anything gives me a menu that has Open as the first command. If this were Windows, I could just press the "o" key and the Open command would be executed. This is what I'm looking for.

P.S. How's you get the shortcuts keys to appear in the pull-down menu?

C

chas_m

Just to clarify, when I right-click on something, I get a pull down menu similar to the Windows menu I included above. In Windows, I can press the key that is underlined and that command will be entered. Can the Mac OS do the same thing?

No. This is because, unlike Windows, the Mac uses a standard set of commands across the system that involve modifier keys. So you don't press "C" to copy in some programs and command-c or option-c to copy in other programs, it is ALWAYS command-c to copy. In every app, whether it's made by Apple or not.

P.S. How's you get the shortcuts keys to appear in the pull-down menu?

Um ... they are always there. Keyboard shortcuts don't appear in *contextual* menus (right-click), but they are consistently and always available in the menubar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.