• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burnt DVD problem

K

Kenai@work

So, I followed advise on how to copy a movie to a DVD. I went with the Mac the Ripper + Popcorn deal.
All went well with my first burn. My second attempt only played the audio on my TV's player. I then popcorned the TS file again only copying the main movie. Still no Go. It does however play fine on my iMac G5?
Anyone out there have advise?
Do I need to play the DVD on the computer 1st before I rip it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you do need to play the dvd on the computer first....just the few seconds of the intro really. Make sure that you copy over only the video_ts file into popcorn and then burn. also has someone been playing with your dvd player and maybe unplugged the video input on your tv? just a thought

-chris

OP
K

Kenai@work

thanks

coach_z said:
you do need to play the dvd on the computer first....just the few seconds of the intro really. Make sure that you copy over only the video_ts file into popcorn and then burn. also has someone been playing with your dvd player and maybe unplugged the video input on your tv? just a thought

-chris

Thank-you for giving some insight. I however tried to burn this particular movie 3 more times following your advise and also tried to only copy the main movie. I also ripped it from the disc a few more times as well. It still will only play on my computer. I burned a couple more DVD's successfully (able to play on my TV) afterwards. So, my conclusion is that this particular DVD just won't work. I give up after wasting 8 DVD+Res. I am wondering if experimenting with the UOPs may have helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
UOPs shouldnt have helped. when MTR read the disk did it say -detected- in red under 'disk RCE'?? if so you have to set the RCE region to 1, or i believe whatever country code the disk is from (us of a is 1).

what is the name of the disk you are attempting to backup?

this is a funny problem because what you are doing has to be correct because your other disks are working fine.
-chris

OP
K

Kenai@work

coach_z said:
UOPs shouldnt have helped. when MTR read the disk did it say -detected- in red under 'disk RCE'?? if so you have to set the RCE region to 1, or i believe whatever country code the disk is from (us of a is 1).

what is the name of the disk you are attempting to backup?

this is a funny problem because what you are doing has to be correct because your other disks are working fine.
-chris

MTR did detect Disc RCE and I set the RCE region to 1, which Disc RPC read as. The disc I am trying to backup is an old play "Sweeney Todd". When I played it on the TV, I was able to get the main menu and chose a scene selection. But that is as far as it went? When I played the DVD with the Main Feature only copy, I only was able to hear the music from the main menu? No Video at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just out of curiosity, does Popcorn create a Audio_TS file automatically?
Cause some DVD players like to have those on the disc, even if they are empty.

OP
K

Kenai@work

There is not an Audio_TS file in any of the folders I have ripped from DVD's nor burned with popcorn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Then maybe try manually creating an empty Audio_TS folder... just like the Video_TS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I don't know if this applies or if I'm in the right thread.. I have a season of DVD's - 6 of them. 3 I was able to rip and burn with no problems.. and play on my tv, no problems, however, I'm having problems with the other 3.
I have 6 discs. 1,2 and 4 burned fine. 3,5 and 6 I'm getting track errors when burning mid way through, then won't finish and stalls.
I'm using MTR and Toast - The dvd's are brand new, just bought the series. MTR says it's "clear" I've got de-macro checked.
I decided to try Popcorn but when I drag the Video_TS folder into it Popcorn quits.
Any suggestions? It can't be that I have 50% faulty discs can it?
Also doesn anyone know which DVD-R's are best to use? I just purchased DVD+R's from Best Buy (in transit) and Memorex DVD+R's Dual layer from Staples.
And, is it possible to burn 7.7 gig onto a 4 gig that can still be viewed on tv?

OP
K

Kenai@work

Are you chosing a full disc extraction with MTR? I think that is the only way popcorn will burn it. Also, check out popcorns web site. They had some good information for problem solving. http://support.roxio.com
Good Luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.