Boosting Intel mac from PPC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac. It is in excellent condition and runs the most advance OS it can (Leopard).

Sadly this machine is now pretty useless as

Is there a way to plug this into my mac mini and use it as an extra processor/ram source?

My mind might be playing Sci-Fi on me here but knowing how cool and advance mac is I thought I'd ask as it seems like the thing they would offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac. It is in excellent condition and runs the most advance OS it can (Leopard).

Sadly this machine is now pretty useless as

Is there a way to plug this into my mac mini and use it as an extra processor/ram source?

Nope.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Logic Studio can use other machines as a CPU resource through the "Logic nodes" but unfortunately this is one app.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac.

Pretty confused here as well. Along the lines of what "chas m" mentioned...my guess is a Powermac G5 of some sort.

- Nick

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Yeah sorry was typing a bit to fast and didn't review!

Yeah is a power mac (aluminum tower case etc) the last one before they changed to intel :-(

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could I connect to it and use it as a harddrive resource? Kinda like a server but a nice place to store my harddrives?

I like the look of the computer too much to throw away but don't want a perfectly good computer sitting redundant! So desperate to try and find a use for it!

I do a lot of media work so thought it might be good to store old files on to it....

C

chas_m

Could I connect to it and use it as a harddrive resource? Kinda like a server but a nice place to store my harddrives?

Yes. You could even turn it into a RAID tower if you wanted.

I do a lot of media work so thought it might be good to store old files on to it....

It would make an excellent file or font server.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AH HA! Here we got Thank you Chas_m! This is what I like to hear...options! :)

What would I need to do to do this... can you point me anywhere or post a link... or if it's easy inform me on here?

Many thanks!

C

chas_m

I'm not an expert in this area, but as far as I know you wouldn't require anything special -- almost all the tools are built right into the OS.

You can configure a RAID via Disk Utility, and file or printer sharing is turned on in System Preferences. That unit has gigabit Ethernet on board so you just plug it into a router or switch and there ya go. For extra fun, you can turn on some services (like FTP) via the command line, or scout out a used copy of Leopard Server for a more graphical way to handle that and other server tasks.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! That sounds really helpful and cool! Going to look into over the weekend!

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.