Fan noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Good Night everyone [it' night for me right now :p]

I want to know somethign about fan noise: I'm on Lion right now, and sometimes when I see YT videos or play some games [Especially those that aren't OSX native], the fan increse its noise a lot! I know it's normal, but I want to know… it's safe? I mean, can I keep playing without worryin that my MacBook is going to burn in flames or something? :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Those activities are highly CPU intensive, therefore producing a lot of heat. That means the fans have to work overtime to keep the CPU alive.

If it ever did get too hot and the fans aren't enough the computer would be smart enough to shut itself off to preserve itself.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Ok, that's a relief!! thx!! I can focus on my game now :p

Another quicl question: since I updated my MB to Lion, it seems to get hotter than when it used to be SL… righ now all the up-right corner of my keyboard is really hot, and that didn't happened in SL. So I guess maybe it's something related to Lion, but I don't know if I am the only one seen it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
There have been some issues arising with 2011 Macs, Lion, Youtube and overheating. Stay tuned - Apple is trying to pinpoint the issue. It seems to be a small bump in the road that is common with early adoption.

C

chas_m

Since this appears to be a known issue, I would refrain from doing anything that might push the processor/cooling system to its limits until we hear further from Apple on this.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
Thanks a lot for answering!! I guess I'm done with playing 'til it'll be "safer". :(

I realize something a few minutes ago: I was reading my feeds in Reeder [Full screen], when suddenly my fan started to make a lot of noise; it was weird 'cause the only apps I was using ATM were Adium, Chrome and Reeder... so I opened "Activity Monitor" [Sorry if it's not the correct translation, Spanish OSX] and Reeder was using 99,9% of my CPU!! I don't know if that happened because of Reeder itself, or because I was using it in Full-screen mode.... but maybe somebody else have experienced this too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Is this reader a native Mac program or something that was downloaded? If not native Mac then I would assume it is not Lion ready. You can try deleting it and reinstalling or you can check this web site and see if it's listed as a compatible program. If not you may want to forgo using it or find another application that is Lion ready.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Regards,

Pat

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]
it was downloaded, you can find it in app store Reeder en Mac App Store, and it's supposed to be Lion ready, otherwise it wouldn't have the Fullscreen option.

I kept using it for a few hours in windowed mode, and the fan seems to be ok, so I guess it's maybe using a lot of CPU when in Fullscreen mode?

Thanks for your answer Pat

C

chas_m

Occasionally, some other process will cause apps to "freak out" and consume far more resources than they should. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Luckily, almost everyone notices it nearly right away due to either fan noise or a less-responsive system. Unluckily, not everyone knows about Activity Monitor and its ability to force quit troublesome programs. Good for you that you knew what to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.