Mic not recognised

Reaction score
I'm reposting this here from the incorrect forum.

I've got a tie clip microphone, and I've plugged into into the jack next to the headphone jack on my iMac.

However, it is not showing up as a device and when selected as line-in no sound is recorded. There is no on/off for the microphone either.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The line-in port requires an amplified signal to work. You'll need either an amplifier, a USB-Line-in converter, such as the Griffin iMic, or a USB microphone. The mic you're using apparently doesn't have enough juice to activate the port.

OP
S
Reaction score
The line-in port requires an amplified signal to work. You'll need either an amplifier, a USB-Line-in converter, such as the Griffin iMic, or a USB microphone. The mic you're using apparently doesn't have enough juice to activate the port.

Whaaaat? It says it's compatible for Mac and PC.
That's a rip off if that's true.
Where do I get these things, and how much are they? All I want to do is record a voiceover for a video I'm making.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I would recommend either the Logitec boom mic or the Griffin iMic. If you go with the Logitec mic, hopefully you can return the other mic to offset the costs. However, if you would prefer the clip mic, then I'd recommend the iMic adapter.

Out of curiosity, what kind of Mac are you using? Most current portables and iMacs have a built-in microphone that should do fine for voiceover.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would recommend either the Logitec boom mic or the Griffin iMic. If you go with the Logitec mic, hopefully you can return the other mic to offset the costs. However, if you would prefer the clip mic, then I'd recommend the iMic adapter.

Out of curiosity, what kind of Mac are you using? Most current portables and iMacs have a built-in microphone that should do fine for voiceover.

Thanks, I've ordered the boom mic. Reviews of it seem good saying that the sound is crisp and good quality. Thankfully I still need the tie clip mic for other things.

I'm using an iMac i5, brand new but the inbuilt microphone isn't crisp enough really.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. If you feel that you posted in the wrong forum, ask a staff member to move it for you. I deleted your other post from the Windows forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

Reaction score

I came across this post today trying to figure out why the logitech headset I bought wasn't being recognized. Thank goodness I should be able to return it.

I'm creating a set of "how to" videos to share on my website. I thought getting a mic that would cancel any noise in the background. I'm working on a 2009 MBP are the recommendations you made the same for me?:\

Thanks for your help... Susan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the same recommendations would apply. As far as reducing ambient noise when recording, someone else will need to speak to that, as I have little experience with voice recording.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
You dont get "noise cancelling" mics. Absorbing unwanted reflections properly is done by Acoustics experts determining where the reflections are coming from and applying the proper sound dampening materials in the problematic areas.

every room sounds different, and therefore each acoustic material setup will be different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.