• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best AVCHD converter?

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm planning to make a little investment (max $60) in an AVCHD converter, which one do you recommend?

So far I have seen the iFunia AVCHD converter, VoltaicHD, and Neo HD Video Converter, but any suggestion would be great (I just need the app to be in the Mac App Store)

Btw, I have a MBP 15'' 2.0 GHz Early 2011 model.

One question, does the conversion quality (NOT speed) depends on the quality of the hardware?

Oh, and it would be great to have a converter that takes advantage of the quad core!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What is your intent for the conversion? Are you converting for playback convenience or for editing purposes?

OP
D
Reaction score
What is your intent for the conversion? Are you converting for playback convenience or for editing purposes?

For editing purposes. I will use iMovie. I know that I can import AVCHD into iMovie, the problem is that all of my vids are in an external hard drive and not in my camcorder (I understand that only way of importing AVCHD into iMovie is connecting the camera, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also, I don't want iMovie to "optimize" my videos (convert to MOV...?) , which is required for some functions such as slow motion, I just want to import it to iMovie and edit them right away. I thought that MP4 would require no optimization, but it did, iMovie created a 600 MB MOV clip from a 100 MB MP4 clip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.