Trying to delete a file

V

vicreoy

I have a .sit file on my desktop that will not go into the trash. It says that it is being used by another program, but there are no program open. I have rebooted, and still, it won't let me delete this .sit file. How do I find out what program is using this file and close it?

Thanks,
steve

OP
H

ho7pes6fall1

.try this.

i had that same problem throughout my mac experience i have a few files like the one you have...right now its a mp3 file...theres this program thats called batChmod you can download it off apple site....it changes the settings of the file so you have complete control over it sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesnt...good luck.,

OP
V

vicreoy

thanks for your reply, this just seems like a very bizarre problem. Why should you need a program to delete a file?

Peace,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You could use the terminal if you are ok with doing that...

OP
V

vicreoy

^^could you be so kind as to let me know how to do this?^^ I have never used terminal before. I would greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
type:

Code:
sudo rm ~/Desktop/FILENAME.sit

oh and that's a tilde ~

And then when it asks for your admin password, type it in and that should take care of it.

Cheers!

OP
H

ho7pes6fall1

deleting file

THANK YOU SOO MUCH....i had the .mp3 file on my desktop for monthes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries, glad to be of some help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.