New MacBook Pro !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13" Precision Aluminium Unibody 2.3GHz i5 320gb;5400rpm
Hi, I have just got the latest edition 2011 MacBook Pro 13" inch 2.7ghz i5, precision aluminium uni-body today and I would like a little help from the experts please.:p However, unfortunately it came with Snow Leopard !:Confused: Firstly, will someone briefly explain to me the main new features of Lion and is it really worth it? Also, if I download it will I lose any of my files or downloaded items ? And sorry if I'm asking too much but can I have some cool tips and tricks for Snow Leopard and Lion (incase I do decide to get it). Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum discussion. ;D

P.S What is the slot next to the disc drive and what is the slot right of where the handle thing is to open your MacBook Pro ?:\

Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread as I am in the exact same boat as you. I got the smallest MB Pro but it's awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Hi, I have just got the latest edition 2011 MacBook Pro 13" inch 2.7ghz i5, precision aluminium uni-body today and I would like a little help from the experts please.:p However, unfortunately it came with Snow Leopard !:Confused: Firstly, will someone briefly explain to me the main new features of Lion and is it really worth it? Also, if I download it will I lose any of my files or downloaded items ? And sorry if I'm asking too much but can I have some cool tips and tricks for Snow Leopard and Lion (incase I do decide to get it). Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum discussion. ;D

P.S What is the slot next to the disc drive and what is the slot right of where the handle thing is to open your MacBook Pro ?:\

There's too many features to list. You should not lose anything if you do the upgrade. Especially with a new installation. You can go here to read all about Lion and it's new features.

Apple - OS X Lion - The world

This site will explain all. I think the $30.00 is a great investment. Where else will you get the most advanced OS in the world for $30.00? Windows does not have it.

I am fairly new myself to Mac so I am not the guy to give you the tips and tricks. But If I were to give one bit of advice it would be to not just start downloading new software into your Mac willy nilly. It can sometimes do more harm than good. As well I would read the sticky about the need for anti-virus software. And the so called Mac cleaning programs really are not needed if you stay out of the hidden files and as previously stated be careful of the software that you do download.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The small slot next to the optical drive is the port for a security cable, like the Kensington Security Cable. I'm not sure which one you mean about being to the right of the opening... unless you mean the sleep LED. Not a slot, just a light that gives a visible "heartbeat" pulse when the system is asleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The small slot next to the optical drive is the port for a security cable, like the Kensington Security Cable. I'm not sure which one you mean about being to the right of the opening... unless you mean the sleep LED. Not a slot, just a light that gives a visible "heartbeat" pulse when the system is asleep.

EvenStranger, my MBP has the sleep slot that you are speaking about but it also has another slot to the right of the sleep light slot. It appears to me to be some type of light but I have never seen it light. I too wonder what this is for.
(Maybe I'll look in the documentation that came with the computer and it will say. If so I will post back.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Are you able to point out the slot from any of the pics on Apple's website? You've got me scratching my head on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here you go. You can see it on the front of this picture, the Macbook with the lid open. It's on the far right of the 1/2 inch or so flat front facing portion. Just to the right where the sleep light would be.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
That is the IR sensor I believe. It's so you ca use an Apple remote to control things like volume, fast forward etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
StMFA I think you have it! It does have some type of glass or covering over it. That makes perfect sense and that's what I am going with.

Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'll be watching this thread as i am in the exact same boat as you. I got the smallest mb pro but it's awesome!

**** right !
:p

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the Kensington lock slot info. but I'm talking about the thing on the right of it.;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you everyone I have got enough info now on the slots but could I have some Mac Tips and Tricks please ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Two big things- keep plenty of free space on your hdd 20+gb
Don't go messing around in system files

Also if you find that your mac starts slowing down after a while reboot the machine, it will clear all open programs so you start off with a fresh desktop. The thing with Macs is that many of the processes (iTunes, iPhoto, Mail, etc.) are still running in the background even when you "close" them. This helps the program open much more quickly the next time, but if you have tons and tons of these open concurrently it can bog your system down as these processes do require some of the RAM in order to keep running in this manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 2.4GHz C2D 4GB 250GB, iPad 2 64GB 3G, iPhone 4 16GB White

As others have stated, Lion intel's 250 new features over Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard intel's 250 features over Tiger. With that said noticeable differences would be the mulit-touch gesture support, Mission Control (Bird's Eye View/Task Manager), Launch Pad (icon views much like that of iOS). As for the "Hole/Port" nest to the optical drive, that is for a Kensington lock for security purposes. If you buy lion and upgrade you WILL NOT lose any data, I have done this personally so I know, It simply upgrades the OS and leaves your Files and Information untouched. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.