RS232 port

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 13" and have windows xp running on my bootcamp partition. I need to plug in a 9 pin serial rs232, is usb the only option. I have read that they never work.

Any advice.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's been a few years, but I've used the Keyspan USA-19 adapter previously, and it worked great. I used it to manage HP Procurve switches and Cisco routers. I used ZTERM as my terminal program, as it had a few features that Apple's Terminal app was missing at the time.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are numerous RS232/Serial to USB converters you an use..Keyspan (Tripplite now) has single and multi-port hubs that work. I've used both. I also have used some Belkin and even some no-name converters that work ..

Most of these converters use a FTDI chip that is nicely supported in Mac..

Zterm is a good option, but I make do with "screen"..:)

Reaction score
I have bought a Garmin high sensitivity Etrex GPS that I want to link to my 27" iMac using OSX Lion to read Anquet Maps specially targetted to Apple computers by VP.com. I have bought a USB to RS232 link by ATEN International. The installation disk advises locating the file on the "system folder\extensions" directory which I cannot find. Can you tell me if I have the right gear and where the System folder is placed, please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect the instructions that you're reading are for Windows not Mac OS X. Garmin GPS devices normally come with instructions and software both for Windows and Mac OS X on the same CD. I'm not familiar with that GPS so I can't say for sure if it's compatible with Mac OS X. Contact Garmin support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.