• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How long should it take to encode video in iDVD

Reaction score
I am trying to encode a 2 1/2 movie in iDVD without menu's on my macbook pro early 2011, it has been over eight ours and its only at 58%. Should it really take that long!?

Full Specs:
2.3GHz Core i5
8GB RAM
intel 3100 HD at 512MB.

Thanks for the help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That really does seem obscenely long. A few hours (2-3) for HD, might be normal, but 8+ is not right.

Are you storing the video on your internal drive?

OP
dtpacula
Reaction score
That really does seem obscenely long. A few hours (2-3) for HD, might be normal, but 8+ is not right.

Are you storing the video on your internal drive?

yes that is what i thought especially with a core i5.

yes it is on my internal drive. its driving me nuts!

C

chas_m

Encoding video takes an ENORMOUS amount of space during the conversion and encoding process. I mean many times the intended final output file size.

Could this be the issue (basically if you tell me you have less than 70-80GB free I'm going to say yes, that's the issue).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.