Affordable USB audio interface

Reaction score
I need a USB powered audio interface, (to use with Garageband). It must have phantom power. I'd like to be able to record vocals and a guitar track simultaneously. It will likely always be me by myself recording so I don't need many inputs. I am also looking for something that is affordable to relatively cheap. I'm on a small budget and don't need big fancy things. Just the basics: USB powered, include phantom power, and at least 1 input each for XLR and 1/4".

Anybody got anything they know of? Any experience? Anything (brands, models, etc) to avoid?

Thanks!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
MBox mini is perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3,06 Ghz intel dual core
I did not like the Mbox2 mini from digidesign because it has mono direct monitoring only. ( on the analog inputs) This means if you have a analog stereo device attached to it you'l have to route it into a DAW first and pan it to hear a stereo signal on your speaker/output.

Maybe the avid mbox mini is better now. but I don't like avid because it was m-audio and had bad experience with m-audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
@McNelton... Ever thought about using a FireWire audio interface?
IMHO... FW is little bit more cost over USB but better for less latency. I've got an older M-Audio FireWire Audiophile for DJing, MIDI connection and using with Logic and Ableton with no problems.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't a $40 iMic do the job here?

OP wants an XLR and 1/4" jack - and seeing as he specifies he needs phantom power - he must already have a condensor mic. Most probably a guitar or something aswell, hence the jack input. So, no.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.