Downloading single beats for garageband?

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am about to buy an Akai LPD8 for a midi for garageband as I want to start making beats and creating some songs. Anyways I was wondering if there was a good place to download single beats (like a deep, heavy bass kick and just that). I was looking around a bit and I could really only find loops and such. Also, how can I access things like this in garageband? I'm only finding loops. I want to start finding specific beats to map to the midi controller. I'm definitely a newcomer to this all so any help would be awesome. Sorry if this has been asked before.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
These are generally referred to as "samples". Bringing up a quick Google search can reveal plenty of sites;

but make sure they are royalty-free, otherwise you could end up being sued for plagiarism if you decide to sell your music commercially.

Great places to get free, royalty free samples are in magazines, and you can buy professional sample packs from online retailers such as Time and Space.

I sometimes grab the free packs from this site as an example.

Logic Cafe

OP
R
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! I'll check those out. Also, just a general question. Is there a good video or site that shows how to cut up a song so I can get beats/samples from it and import those samples into garageband for use with a midi controller such as the Akai LPD8?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
im not sure Garageband has any powerful sampling tools; i never bothered with it.

I could easily show you how to do it in Logic, but unfortunately I will have to leave it for someone else.

put simply, what you have to do is import samples into a sampler plug in which then triggers those samples as MIDI notes. i use EXS24 for this, but it doesnt come with Garbageband.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.