*HELP* How do I uninstall Windows XP and Parallels

Reaction score
I installed Parallels on my MBPro OS X in hopes that I could run my embroidery software that requires windows XP service pack 2 (I have the retail installation disk) :| and I am not happy. My MB is cranky and frankly I am not happy with my decision to run Winblows on my beloved MAC...
So. How do I go about restoring my MacBook Pro, and everything back to new-out of box condition? Can I just erase the HD and start all over again? Or am I going to have fragments of stuff left behind? I want it ALL GONE...
Please, is someone willing to take my hand and gently guide me? I am not very familiar with the tech words, so if you could just say click on this or when it says this do that...

Thank you so very much!
Leslie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Before you get too upset over the performance, you should consider that you might just need a memory upgrade to smooth out that issue. How much memory does your MacBook Pro currently have, and what did Parallels allocate to Windows?

OP
L
Reaction score
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

ALLOCATE to windows? shrugs. where would I find that info.? Frankly I don't want windows on my MAC. I'll just buy a cheap laptop for my embroidery software.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16

ALLOCATE to windows? shrugs. where would I find that info.? Frankly I don't want windows on my MAC. I'll just buy a cheap laptop for my embroidery software.

Seems like you have plenty of memory (Windows XP runs well with just 512MB-1GB). You would have configured this setting when you setup the virtual machine. It may have been configured for you, but Parallels should allow you to look at the virtual machine settings as well to verify. The specific process would be covered by their documentation.

As far as removing it - check this knowledge base article:

KB Parallels: How to uninstall/delete a Virtual Machine

For uninstalling Parallels itself, check this one:

KB Parallels: How to remove Parallels Desktop?

OP
L
Reaction score
Can I just start all over again with my OS installation disk and call that good? No one talks about uninstall windows first or parallels.... I am so confused

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a bit of advice for you.. your Mac *is* a PC. It uses the same commodity hardware as a typical Windows notebook. There's nothing special about it, other than the slick design of the outer casing.

What makes a Mac a "Mac" is the operating system. Just adding another operating system (give ample system resources) should not slow it down in any way. If it does, something is wrong with the setup. Buying another laptop just to run one piece of software because you somehow feel that Windows has "soiled" your Mac is (and forgive my frankness) kind of silly.

I would highly recommend you read your Parallels documentation and some of the FAQs on this site (like this one) before you rush to judgement.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I just start all over again with my OS installation disk and call that good? No one talks about uninstall windows first or parallels.... I am so confused

Let's start at the beginning...

Parallels is a program that allows one to create what is known as a "virtual machine". A virtual machine allocates some of your system resources and makes those resources "pretend" to be another, standalone computer that runs in parallel with your native (physical) computer. Subsequent to creating that virtual machine, you use a Windows disc to install an operating system on it - in this case - Windows XP.

So, the guides I linked you to describe two things. First, how to delete the virtual machine (and in turn, Windows). The second describes how to completely remove the Parallels program that allows for the creation of a virtual machine. If you follow the first guide, then the second, you're back at square one.

Reinstalling Mac OS X is absolute overkill, and should not be necessary, especially since the articles I sent you links to are fairly simple to follow, step-by-step procedures.

I think you really should step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath and try to get some clarity before you continue.

OP
L
Reaction score
please accept this in the kindest way... yes mother :))
I am just so frustrated. I will read the links you provided, maybe have glass of cognac and I'll be sure to write again.
thank you for your patience with "me" :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
please accept this in the kindest way... yes mother :))
I am just so frustrated. I will read the links you provided, maybe have glass of cognac and I'll be sure to write again.
thank you for your patience with "me" :)

No worries, and I'm sorry if that came off as abrasive. Your reaction just struck me as being a little extreme.

Let's put it this way - reinstalling OS X would be like telling a mechanic to replace your engine because your car needed an oil change.

Reaction score
Parallels

I run Parallels in an iMac with 4 GB RAM.
I gave Parallels only ONE GB RAM to use, and it works fine, even running Win 7.
When I had 2 Gb allocated to it, it ran like molases.

If you adjust the memory it may work. I also have it installed in my MB Pro, and will install Win 7 next week.

If you don't want Parallels, just uninstall it, just like any other program. It is not like Boot Camp that you have to even change the type of partition, etc. By the way, I had to erase my PB Pro to be able to install Lion, and restore from my Backup.

Parallels is better in that way. Just install/uninstall as you wish. No big deal.

I hope this helps.

Fernando

Reaction score
I installed Parallels on my MBPro OS X in hopes that I could run my embroidery software that requires windows XP service pack 2 (I have the retail installation disk) :| and I am not happy. My MB is cranky and frankly I am not happy with my decision to run Winblows on my beloved MAC...
So. How do I go about restoring my MacBook Pro, and everything back to new-out of box condition? Can I just erase the HD and start all over again? Or am I going to have fragments of stuff left behind? I want it ALL GONE...
Please, is someone willing to take my hand and gently guide me? I am not very familiar with the tech words, so if you could just say click on this or when it says this do that...

Thank you so very much!
Leslie

What you need to do is only go to boot camp assistant, just like when you install xp using boot camp.
You will reach a stage/interface/option(whatever its called) "create or remove windows partition".
Once its clicked, your hard drive is back to 1 partition, which is Mac HD.
JUST LIKE everything back to new out of box condition.
BTW, mine is MBA and now running lion, upgraded yesterday.
Enjoy.

Reaction score
Let's start at the beginning...

Parallels is a program that allows one to create what is known as a "virtual machine". A virtual machine allocates some of your system resources and makes those resources "pretend" to be another, standalone computer that runs in parallel with your native (physical) computer. Subsequent to creating that virtual machine, you use a Windows disc to install an operating system on it - in this case - Windows XP.

So, the guides I linked you to describe two things. First, how to delete the virtual machine (and in turn, Windows). The second describes how to completely remove the Parallels program that allows for the creation of a virtual machine. If you follow the first guide, then the second, you're back at square one.

Reinstalling Mac OS X is absolute overkill, and should not be necessary, especially since the articles I sent you links to are fairly simple to follow, step-by-step procedures.

I think you really should step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath and try to get some clarity before you continue.

Next time you can try to use VMware fusion. i am using it and its quite nice. it can boot up my Win 7 while running OS X side by side

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you need to do is only go to boot camp assistant, just like when you install xp using boot camp.
You will reach a stage/interface/option(whatever its called) "create or remove windows partition".
Once its clicked, your hard drive is back to 1 partition, which is Mac HD.
JUST LIKE everything back to new out of box condition.
BTW, mine is MBA and now running lion, upgraded yesterday.
Enjoy.

That would be accurate if we were talking about a Boot Camp installation, but that's not the case here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.