Making a vertical line (|) in Windows 7 on Mac

Reaction score
Hello! I've been searching all over the internet for an answer to this question, but I haven't found anything helpful yet, so I figured the best thing to do is to ask someone - because I really need the character | in programming.

I have a MacBook Air, of the 2010 generation, I believe. I've installed Windows 7 on it, and everything works great, except this: I cannot produce the character | (vertical line) with the use of my keyboard alone. By default, when I use OS X, it's alt + 7 for me.

Windows 7 seems to be using the same layout for its keys as OS X does, but alt + 7 results in a big fat nothing. I've checked, and no other key on my keyboard can produce a |. I don't want to keep copying and pasting the character every time I want to use it!

Is there anything I can do to assign this function to a specific key or key combination on my keyboard? I've tried a program that can reassign functions to other keys, but it didn't seem to recognize the existence of a |-producing key, so that got me nowhere.

Or, as an alternative, is there a way to make Windows use the default keyboard layout for Windows, rather than Mac's?

I hope this makes sense, it's hard to put words to this issue...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm going to assume that you're not using the US keyboard layout since Shift+\ will get you the | character. What keyboard layout are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, the pipe's always been on the same spot on my (well.. modern ones at least) keyboards.

OP
R
Reaction score
That's right, I'm using a Norwegian keyboard, so due to ÆØÅ there's less room for stuff. Speaking of backslash keys, I don't even think I have a key that can produce a backslash. At all. So that's kind of annoying too. >_>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Looks like it should be the key to the left of the number 1 on a windows Norwegian keyboard.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, it should. Problem is, Windws 7 is trying to use the same Mac standard keyboard layout, which means that the key left of 1 is '. I haven't found a proper way to change it to Windows standard. :S

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you very much, that MSKLC program is excellent.

What's funny though, is how I didn't actually need to use it at all - turns out there was an easy option to remove the apple keyboard layout after all. :p

Still, thanks for the help, and I'm sure MSKLC will come in handy anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.