Digital SLR

U

UncSki1218

I'm taking and photography class and i'm hooked. I want to get a low end digital slr. I'm looking at ...a olympus evolt e300(body, two lenses, and 1gb card) for $820 or a canon 350d/digital rebel xt (body, one lens and 1gb card) for $950. Which one gets me the best camera for my money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am of no real help with digital slr's but there has been a few good discussions recently that should be able to answer your question, use the search function
-chris

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I can not say which is better. I prefer Nikons and Canons. So I woulod go with the Canon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
ya the rebel or a nikon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
You may not be interested in my opinion but...

UncSki1218 said:
I'm taking and photography class and i'm hooked. I want to get a low end digital slr. I'm looking at ...a olympus evolt e300(body, two lenses, and 1gb card) for $820 or a canon 350d/digital rebel xt (body, one lens and 1gb card) for $950. Which one gets me the best camera for my money?
You could look on eBay for the Canon 300-D (Digital Rebel last years model) or even the Canon 350-D (Rebel XT newest model).

I have 3 digital SLRs, but my 300-D is my favorite along with my 50 - 500-mm zoom telephoto.

They are both great digital SLR cameras. Very easy to use with many functions. The 350-D has some new features (not many) but the 300-D is still well worth it. I bought my 300-D about 3, 4-5 months before the 350-D came out and I'm still very happy with it till this day. And I'm sure for much longer. It does everything I need it to do and more. So there was no need for me to upgrade to the 350-D right away. The 300-D has a few more years on its life in my photography toolbox.

I bought mine on eBay at a great price. $300 less that what you could get anywhere else!

There are over 50 lenses from Canon that you can use with these cameras and tons more from other companies at lower prices.

That may be something to look into. If you do buy on eBay, look for everything from the sellers you come across with that product. Look at their feedback. Make sure its New In Box (NIB) factory sealed. Ask them questions about it and all those good things. Find out about their return policies. And if you decide to get a Canon lens, make sure its not a "fake" Canon lens. There's ways of telling but many people don't know what to look for.

I'd be happy to help you out if you'd like and help you check out the sellers if you find some. Just shoot me a PM or an IM. Look in my profile for the IM info.

Just trying to help you out. A digital SLR camera is an investment and great tool. IMO, they are great to use especially if you're taking a Photography class.

Good luck, and let me know if you want some help. I hope this information was helpful to you.

EDIT... I forgot to mention. If you would like to get some information, check out www.dpreview.com There is some great info there and you can compare many cameras and check out the specs and all. Some members there are real conceded and think they know all and will look down on "newbs" and their work which I think is lame! But others will be willing to help a beginner out and be constructive about your work and questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
When you buy a digital SLR, you are really buying into the lens system, and that should really be an important part in making your decision.

For instance, it is no good buying a camera where lens range is limited/expensive for your needs. Remember you will may want to updgrade the body, but you can keep your lens collection for future cameras of the same make.

I would certainly do some lense research if you are considering the Olympus - not that it is a bad camera, but just check if the lens range is suitable and priced right for your individual needs. Also read some reviews on lenses for all cameras you are considering, as well as the cameras themselves.

Personally, I went for Canon mainly due to their lens range - especially the much coveted L lenses. I have the 300D and the 20D and both are very good. I find the 300D a great easy to use SLR with little picture difference from the (now old but better) 10D. The 20D is another kettle of fish, with finer control, but, to be honest, image wise, there is not a whole lot of difference.

I would certainly think of opting for a 300D or a 350XT - both of these would make an ideal introduction into SLR photography without costing the earth. Its the lenses that will eventually cost you, as with any DSLR :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Props to you!

Kyomii said:
When you buy a digital SLR, you are really buying into the lens system, and that should really be an important part in making your decision.

For instance, it is no good buying a camera where lens range is limited/expensive for your needs. Remember you will may want to updgrade the body, but you can keep your lens collection for future cameras of the same make.

I would certainly do some lense research if you are considering the Olympus - not that it is a bad camera, but just check if the lens range is suitable and priced right for your individual needs. Also read some reviews on lenses for all cameras you are considering, as well as the cameras themselves.

Personally, I went for Canon mainly due to their lens range - especially the much coveted L lenses. I have the 300D and the 20D and both are very good. I find the 300D a great easy to use SLR with little picture difference from the (now old but better) 10D. The 20D is another kettle of fish, with finer control, but, to be honest, image wise, there is not a whole lot of difference.

I would certainly think of opting for a 300D or a 350XT - both of these would make an ideal introduction into SLR photography without costing the earth. Its the lenses that will eventually cost you, as with any DSLR :)
You're exactly right. That was one of the main reasons for my purchase on the 300-D. The lens and mount options are great and expandable. And Canon makes great lenses as well as the after market companies do. Myself, I prefer Canon and Sigma. BTW, those L series lenses are really great lenses. But $$$$$

Thanks for pointing that out. I didnt want to get into too much detail on that as its getting too late for me and need to work in the early am to late pm. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g4 1ghz
get a nikon
the lower end cannons arent really worth it
d50 or d70
youll thank yourself in the long run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
In my not so limtited experience, i find that the Rebel XT is the best camera if you're gonna spend that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
nutter said:
get a nikon
the lower end cannons arent really worth it
d50 or d70
youll thank yourself in the long run

But if you are saving up to get to the D50-70 range you are much better off going for something like the Canon 20D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
The point made about lenses is the most important.

One thing to know is Nikon has not changed the mount on SLR cameras, whereas Canon has. Many older Canon lenses are not compatible with their newest cameras.

Purchasing a Nikon DSLR could be better in the long run if you dont mind purchasing older lenses. You could also purchase old film cameras and use your new lenses on those. Interchangability is quite nice once you get hooked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Odin aa, - no disrespect, but why do you suggest that the older Canon lenses are not compatible? Of course they are! The only difference is that the 300D the 300XT and the 20D will ALSO mount EF-S lenses AS WELL AS the standard EF lenses.

So, yes, they have changed their mount, they have made it compatible with both the old EF mount lenses and a new EF-S mount lenses - giving the user an even wider range of lenses to choose from.

The Nikon user who said the low end Canon SLRs are not really worth it, are being Bias towards Nikon - considering the price, they are definately worth it.

Either way, camera wise, it is up to you, since all DSLR's have their good and bad points - and it is more down to personal preference. However, lens range and price should be an important factor in your decision as I have already said.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Kyomii said:
Odin aa, - no disrespect, but why do you suggest that the older Canon lenses*are not compatible? Of course they are! The only difference is that the 300D the 300XT and the 20D will ALSO mount EF-S lenses AS WELL AS the standard EF lenses.

So, yes, they have changed their mount, they have made it compatible with both the old EF mount and a new EF-S mount - giving an ever wider range of lenses to choose from.

The Nikon user who said the low end Canon SLRs are not really worth it, are being Bias towards Nikon - considering the price, they are definately worth it.

Well, I am liking my Canon 20D and my teacher uses a Nikon D70. He loves Nikon and so do I. I also do over Canon as a company just b/c they are like Sony when it comes to price. But I have to say that I think Canon makes some of the best digital SLRs out there minus my opinions on them as a company. When it comes to 35mm I prefer the Sigma line of the SA-7 and SA-9 QD. I think those are great in respect to that type of camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Kyomii said:
Odin aa, - no disrespect, but why do you suggest that the older Canon lenses are not compatible? Of course they are! The only difference is that the 300D the 300XT and the 20D will ALSO mount EF-S lenses AS WELL AS the standard EF lenses.

No disrespect taken.

I do not own Canon, my statement is based on people I know who do own canon cameras who state they cannot use old cannon lenses due to a change made in the mounts. I would have to clarify with them, however they may be speaking of the lenses not performing all functions with the DSLR's and not that the lens would not attach to the camera.

The following link I found discusses it in length by persons who do use the canon system, in fact it lists several lenses and this factoid:

"The EF-S mount on the 300D is FULLY compatible with the EF mount. ALL EF lenses will mount on the 300D. The 300D can ALSO mount Canon's one and only EF-S lens, the 18-55/3.5-5.6. This lens will NOT mount on any other Canon EOS body. So you can put ANY EF lens on any EF or EF-S mount body, but you can only mount an EF-S lens (of which there is only one, the 18-55) on an EF-S body (of which there is only one, the 300D).

This article does not address RTFM issues. I guess we may need another article at some point on how to turn the camera on and which buttons to push in which order! "

Canon Lenes

I do not know all of the different canon mounts, however there is an adapter needed to use some of the old manual focus lenses. Any time you place something between your lens and the camera it will degrade the photo quality. I can buy an old manual focus Nikon lens, say a 600mm f/4 and use it on the D2X. New 600mm f/4 are around $6000.00, used old ones can be found for under $2000.00. This is not something that everyone would need to worry about, however it is something for someone getting into nature or sports photography may consider a selling point.

I agree that when purchasing a camera system, especially if they do not have an investment in current 35mm lenses, that either Nikon, Canon, Minolta, or Pentax would serve them well. Nikon and Canon of course have a larger lens selection.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Odin_aa said:
No disrespect taken.

I do not own Canon, my statement is based on people I know who do own canon cameras who state they cannot use old cannon lenses due to a change made in the mounts. I would have to clarify with them, however they may be speaking of the lenses not performing all functions with the DSLR's and not that the lens would not attach to the camera.

The following link I found discusses it in length by persons who do use the canon system, in fact it lists several lenses and this factoid:

"The EF-S mount on the 300D is FULLY compatible with the EF mount. ALL EF lenses will mount on the 300D. The 300D can ALSO mount Canon's one and only EF-S lens, the 18-55/3.5-5.6. This lens will NOT mount on any other Canon EOS body. So you can put ANY EF lens on any EF or EF-S mount body, but you can only mount an EF-S lens (of which there is only one, the 18-55) on an EF-S body (of which there is only one, the 300D).

This article does not address RTFM issues. I guess we may need another article at some point on how to turn the camera on and which buttons to push in which order! "

Canon Lenes

I do not know all of the different canon mounts, however there is an adapter needed to use some of the old manual focus lenses. Any time you place something between your lens and the camera it will degrade the photo quality. I can buy an old manual focus Nikon lens, say a 600mm f/4 and use it on the D2X. New 600mm f/4 are around $6000.00, used old ones can be found for under $2000.00. This is not something that everyone would need to worry about, however it is something for someone getting into nature or sports photography may consider a selling point.

I agree that when purchasing a camera system, especially if they do not have an investment in current 35mm lenses, that either Nikon, Canon, Minolta, or Pentax would serve them well. Nikon and Canon of course have a larger lens selection.

You are totally correct. My photography teacher said the exact same thing. You lose functionality in some of the older Canon lenses. Nikon lenses are more compatible across the board. If you want lenses compatibility for years and years to come Nikon is the best road to take. It all depends on what kind of photography you do as well as to which Make to get.

OP
S

stupid

As a new owner of the 350d i can thoroughly recommend it, also worth taking a look at will be the new olympus e-500 which is due out soon.

The 50d is a little too basic , the d70s is very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Odin_aa said:
No disrespect taken.

Canon Lenes

Thankyou Odin_aa for your response :)

Firstly the article you mention is really now out of date, since there is another EFS lens now and also the 350D and 20D have EFS mounts ;) However, it is true that you cannot mount an EFS lens on a standard EF mount - but the same lenses are available in both flavours.

While I agree there may be problems with the really old manual lenses, generally all the other EF ranges should mount without problem and work without too many issues.

Very few people use fully manual lenses nowadays, though, since the automatic lenses give the user the option of both manual and auto focus capabilities. To be honest, too, the price for the old manual lenses is so cheap (well they are up where I am) it is not worth rejecting a camera on the basis that a 30 year old lens may not work with it IMHO.

Canon's lens range is wider than Nikon's IMHO - and suits my needs more. I much prefer the out of camera shot from a Canon than a Nikon (have used both).

However both Canon and Nikon make good DSLR cameras - it really is horses for courses :)

OP
Q

quanz

personally I like the colours and colour adjustability you get with the nikon, as opposed to the canon. the nikon also feels more comfortable and solid. the kit lens that comes with the nikon is usefull and pretty sharp.

the nikon d70 has great flash controll, the creative lighting system works so well, and with the 500th flash sync you can be excited about using a fill flash outdoors in the sunlight.

spot metering, so important yet missing from the canon 300d, aswell as a sub command dial, which I find is very usefull.

although those things are both on the 20d if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Canon has a new flash system that equates to Nikons, I do not know which cameras are available with the option. Kyomii can most likely let you know that (think the new D rebel has it and the original does not). :spook:

Canons Prosumer line of cameras definately beats out Nikons Prosumer line when it comes to digital noise. If the D70 has a downfall it would be the noise given ISO levels above 800, and even at 800 the noise is pretty bad but can be remedied with noise reduction software.

These kind of discussions tend to remind me of Chevy vs Ford when I was in my teens. (I drive Jeeps now) The make of the camera really is not important, the features of the camera and how you use them are.

The original question was Olympus with two lenses or Canon with one lens for about the same price. That scenario, I personally would chose the Canon. My reasons are simply Canon makes quality cameras, and lenses would be more readily available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to add to my previous comment to this thread.

Another reason why I didnt upgrade to the 350D (Rebel XT) was because of the size. Canon made it a bit smaller. For me, I didnt like the way it felt in my hand. Felt too small. Still a great camera to start on just too small for my liking. The 300D (Digital Rebel) feels more durable and sturdy in my hands. And with the added weight and size of my Bigma lens, the size of the 300D in my hands feels perfect IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.