Switcher needs software tips and help

Reaction score
Hey Mac smarties ;)

I just ordered a mac book pro 15 ".

I have some questions what software for mac could replace the software i now use on PC.
I'll list the software I use on PC.

1. Windows software i use and need replacement for on the mac:
  • WinRAR
  • PDF writer ( A way to save documents as PDFs from word or other programs)
  • FTP software ( i now use Filezilla, should i stick with it on mac or another?)
  • Simple text editor with colors for html,php and so on (use Notepad 2 now)
  • Office pack (bought it for mac with my mbp)
  • Skype (looks to be a download away :))
  • Firefox (looks to be a download away:))
  • Google talk ( google dont have a version of this for mac :S)
  • MSN
  • VLC (looks to be a download away :))
  • CD/DVD/image creation and burning tool
  • found out in another post here that must install Flip for Mac WMV and perian codec for video?

2. What should I use parallells or vmware fusion?
I intend to run bootcamp as well as one of this too for another way to use windows.
  • The software i intend to run is some special only windows stuff like
  • Reuters EcoWin
  • Strategy Runner
  • Online Trader
  • Goldman Sachs REDI Plus
  • Bloomberg LP (I found out I can use Boomberg Anywhere on the mac)
  • Pair Trade finder
  • Clue

3. I have some exchange, google stuff i need to sync to my phone and pc
  • Exchange mails probably no problem?
  • Google mail?
  • Do I get a mac mail or something? .me or what is it ?
  • Is there a good way to sync the google calendar and such with mail software in mac?
  • What mail software should I use, I use outlook on pc and webmail google gmail ?

4. Backup system
  • What should i pick? SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner ( I used Acronis on Windows - i make images)
  • Machine Time can probably copy Individual folders and files to a external hard drive ?

5. Own file structure :S
I sort most of my files in different folders kind of like this:

Company X
Company X photos folder (different photos)
Company X website (different document types)
Company X excel docs (excel)
Company X documents (different document types)
Company Accounting and tax (sortet in other foulders by year, different type of files)

Company Y
Company Y photos folder (different photos)
Company Y website (different document types)
Company Y excel docs (excel)
Company Y documents (different document types)
Company Y Accounting and tax (sortet in other foulders by year, different type of files)

I don’t want to sort them in any pictures, movies, documents folders in the home foulder (or what its called). I hope this is possible?
Any problems with not using this folders on mac?

Thanks very much for any replays and all comments are appreciated!
Please give me better solutions if there is :) Everything is welcome...
Just quote the programs and comment one by one if you want and have time ;) thanks ;)

Kind regards from a guy who is switching.. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Welcome.

You may want to also try the search function and read some of the stickies. A lot of your questions are already out there. :)

C

chas_m

1. Windows software i use and need replacement for on the mac:
  • WinRAR
  • PDF writer ( A way to save documents as PDFs from word or other programs)
  • FTP software ( i now use Filezilla, should i stick with it on mac or another?)
  • Simple text editor with colors for html,php and so on (use Notepad 2 now)
  • Office pack (bought it for mac with my mbp)
  • Skype (looks to be a download away :))
  • Firefox (looks to be a download away:))
  • Google talk ( google dont have a version of this for mac :S)
  • MSN
  • VLC (looks to be a download away :))
  • CD/DVD/image creation and burning tool

• 1. UnRARX, MacPAR Deluxe, the free Stuffit Expander, there are probably a half-dozen other such tools either shareware or free

2. Built into OS X.

3. FTP is actually built-in (both command-line and Safari) but I like Cyberduck or Transmit for my FTP needs. Filezilla (for Mac) will probably do you just fine.

4. You probably want TextWrangler (free) for this.

5. I prefer iWork (the suite) to Office, but MS Office for Mac is fine. You can use OpenOffice/LibreOffice if you like ugly but very functional software.

6. Skype: most Mac users prefer the older 2.x version because it takes up a lot less room and is less ugly, but 5.x works for me. Your choice. Don't forget about iChat and FaceTime, however, they are pretty awesome.

7. Safari 5.1 is, IMHO, better -- but it's not like it really matters.

8. Built into iChat.

9. MSN sucks. Sorry, but its true. There are MSN clients a-plenty, but they all suck. If you're mainly doing text-chatting, then I'd suggest the catch-all IM client Adium.

10. Yes, VLC for Mac. Get the 64-bit Intel version.

11. Built-in.

2. What should I use parallells or vmware fusion?

Everyone has an opinion on this. I'll suggest VirtualBox.

3. I have some exchange, google stuff i need to sync to my phone and pc
    • Exchange mails probably no problem?
    • Google mail?
    • Do I get a mac mail or something? .me or what is it ?
    • Is there a good way to sync the google calendar and such with mail software in mac?
    • What mail software should I use, I use outlook on pc and webmail google gmail ?

1. Generally, Exchange is not an issue. Mac mail can handle it, and sync w/iPhone
    2. Sure, if you like. Again, Mac Mail can sync to iPhone on this.
    3. No, but there's a good way to sync Google Calendar with iCal (which is what you meant, I'm sure: Google Sync services

4. Backup system
    • What should i pick? SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner ( I used Acronis on Windows - i make images)
    • Machine Time can probably copy Individual folders and files to a external hard drive ?

You don't NEED to do both TM and a clone, but it's not a bad idea (I do this myself). I personally choose CCC, but either it or SD are fine. Time Machine works great too, but does not produce a bootable clone -- it focuses on being a versioned, easily-retrievable or restorable vault/image type system.

5. Own file structure :S
    I sort most of my files in different folders kind of like this:

Company X
    Company X photos folder (different photos)
    Company X website (different document types)
    Company X excel docs (excel)
    Company X documents (different document types)
    Company Accounting and tax (sortet in other foulders by year, different type of files)

Company Y
    Company Y photos folder (different photos)
    Company Y website (different document types)
    Company Y excel docs (excel)
    Company Y documents (different document types)
    Company Y Accounting and tax (sortet in other foulders by year, different type of files)

I don’t want to sort them in any pictures, movies, documents folders in the home foulder (or what its called). I hope this is possible?
    Any problems with not using this folders on mac?

You're free to create and manage folders any way you like, (almost) anywhere you want -- though I'd strongly recommend putting that stuff in the Home folder, and NOT ON THE DESKTOP for a wide variety of reasons. You can easily put shortcuts to them on your Dock or Launchpad. Personally if I had this task before me I'd make a "business" master folder and put all the folders and subfolders you just mentioned in there, then put the business folder in the dock. Instant one-click access to everything.

By default, iPhoto will want to grab any pictures you load in from your digital camera, but you can turn that off if you like. You're not mandated to store all pictures in the Pictures folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'd put your data in your home directory. You don't need to use Documents, Music, Movies, etc.. It just makes things easier (especially things like using migration assistant) if you keep it in there (home).

Don't use iPhoto and that built in burning tool? Disk Utility.

OP
investor
Reaction score
Welcome.

You may want to also try the search function and read some of the stickies. A lot of your questions are already out there. :)

Thanks ;)
Well there will be alot to learn. I first just wanted to get an overview of what programs might work.. chas_m did a fantastic job explaning some questions and suggestions. now I will have to dig deeper into them and learn more about this programs..and yeah i now better use some searching on the forum.

OP
investor
Reaction score
Thanks for a valuable and fantastic replay chas_m! Now I will have to dig deeper into the suggestions and searching the forum for more info about different software.
By the way the thread in your sig was good as well :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.