Keyboard Cover

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" i5. 4GB, 2.4Ghz, 320GB. Mid 2010
Does anyone use a keyboard cover for their laptops?

I bought one and I'm using it. It's called GTMAX Keyboard Cover. I heard if your fingers residue grease or oil will slowly wear off the keyboard to result a shiny look in the end. Is that true? If that's true, does anyone here use a keyboard cover to prevent that from happening? Hearing that, I right away bought a keyboard cover to prevent that from happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", i7 2GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.7.1 - iPhone 3GS
I just ordered a GTMax keyboard cover myself as noticed my keys getting little harder to clean every morning before starting a day of heavy use. In particular, where my thumb hits the space bar takes a heavy beating with all the typing I do. I also ordered a Spec see through satin case to keep the aluminum protected from bumps and to cover the palm/touchpad area a protective decal skin sticker. At the very least, my MBP will look seriously cool. :Cool:

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a trackpad/palm as well? Speck case? What's that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Speck See Thru Satin Case for 15-Inch MacBook Pro Unibody SD Card Slot Compatible - Black (MB15AU-SAT-BLK-D)
Great hard shell protection against scrapes and scratches .
Vented for optimized heat disbursement .
Full access to all ports and plugs .
Custom-fit design lets you open your MacBook all the way .
Totally removable, easy to put on and take off.
Rubberized feet help keep your notebook safe and secure.

Protective Decal Skin Sticker for Macbook PRO 15 (release 2009 ONE piece Trackpad) 15.4 inch screen case cover macbook15-09-Ltop2PS-39
A revolutionary way to customize your device with Supper durable Ultra high gloss finish vinyl skin & High resolution digital printing with photo quality!
Precision cut to fit your device, scratch resistant protective shields with high-quality vinyl.
Supper easy to apply, with EASY Apply technology feature air bubble FREE in the application.
Non permanent adhesive allow easy peel off & leave NO sticky residue behind.
Thin enough to maintain compatibility with most accessories; tough enough to absorb the minor abuse from daily use.

The touchpad may not be covered by a decal, but it seems to still clean easy enough even with the constant gesture usage. If I notice that changing I will see about finding something that does not interfere with the full use of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Another good reason: It's a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing or fixing (not to mention the fear factor) because of spilling on the keyboard. I spilt water on my keyboard (for my mac mini) and lost that. My father has spilt on his mbp a few times and had to replace parts because of it. It's smarter for the unforseen and my guess is it would keep particles, cat hair etc out. I wish I had one for my PC keyboard as certain keys the letters are worn off and cleaning on the sides is really hard.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WELL then I'm very glad I've made this keyboard cover purchase. You can't even tell it's there unless you're typing on it because it's got this rubbery feel to it but it's good. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You just made my morning with your seal of approval on the same keyboard cover working it's way to my mailbox. :)

Thanks CJY91285!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, I'm glad. Tell me how your purchase goes for you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it just arrived and it is a perfect fit and match to the keyboard underneath it. I had ordered the black version and it looks just like my keyboard. The only signs of a cover being in place are near the beveled edge where it sits perfectly and of course the touch. Even the raised bars on F and J were perfectly preserved for hand placement on the keyboard. I can see the backlit keyboard even with the sunlight right above me and wearing sunglasses. But most importantly, I now have a barrier between the small spaces under my keyboard and the unforgiving world! Not to mention only spending 3 dollars again should my hands wear out the buttons, instead of a new keyboard.

The feel of rubber under my fingers will take a little getting used to, but it in no way hampers or even slows down my typing or usage of the keyboard.

Most impressive. I am very happy with this keyboard cover!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad you are pleased. I am as well. :D What's your horoscope sign? :D I'm a virgo. LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anymore, I would say my horoscope sign is an Apple! :Cool:

Thanks again for your input on a great cover, it was just exactly as you said it was. I would recommend it to anybody looking to protect their keys and keep undesirables from getting into your MBP through the keyboard.

I found mine on Amazon if anybody wants to look at the pictures etc.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD
We seem to have gotten off topic, but I have a Moshi keyboard cover for my iMac. I bought it when I bought my computer. I thought it was better to have it than to not have it. It keeps dust, crumbs, water, greasy fingers, or what have you out of the keyboard and off of the keys meaning my keyboard looks almost brand new. The cover is a perfect fit, which means unless you're looking for it, you don't even know it's there. It feels nice too. I also bought a Moshi cover for my Magic Mouse too. I don't know if it actually does anything, but I thought, "Why not?" An ounce of prevention....

I just thought it would be better to have them than not have them. If I had Macbook, I would probably be tempted to get a keyboard cover for it as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
moshi? What is that? haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Speck See Thru Satin Case for 15-Inch MacBook Pro Unibody SD Card Slot Compatible - Black (MB15AU-SAT-BLK-D)
Great hard shell protection against scrapes and scratches .
Vented for optimized heat disbursement .
Full access to all ports and plugs .
Custom-fit design lets you open your MacBook all the way .
Totally removable, easy to put on and take off.
Rubberized feet help keep your notebook safe and secure.

Protective Decal Skin Sticker for Macbook PRO 15 (release 2009 ONE piece Trackpad) 15.4 inch screen case cover macbook15-09-Ltop2PS-39
A revolutionary way to customize your device with Supper durable Ultra high gloss finish vinyl skin & High resolution digital printing with photo quality!
Precision cut to fit your device, scratch resistant protective shields with high-quality vinyl.
Supper easy to apply, with EASY Apply technology feature air bubble FREE in the application.
Non permanent adhesive allow easy peel off & leave NO sticky residue behind.
Thin enough to maintain compatibility with most accessories; tough enough to absorb the minor abuse from daily use.

The touchpad may not be covered by a decal, but it seems to still clean easy enough even with the constant gesture usage. If I notice that changing I will see about finding something that does not interfere with the full use of it.

These two arrived today, both one day before the estimated delivery date spread started. :) The decal did indeed not only come with a cover for the touchpad, but it seems to work just fine underneath it. With the keyboard cover and decals, my MBP now has a protective barrier from everyday wear and tear usage. It also looks cool. :Cool: The black satin case fit over the lid decal nicely and does not interfere with any part of my MBP from lights to ports and the screen, at all. The case does not seem to cause any major heat issues, but it does have two nice vents on the bottom.

Short of a horrible accident or a deliberate attempt, I feel my MBP is very well protected. Definitely heavier though, but then again I didn't get a MBA. Yet. ;)

Just a taste, keyboard cover and decal protecting palm area and touchpad:
attachment.php

I <3 my Mac :Cool:

Protected_MBP.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OH those looks nice!

You make me wanna to get them too now. How much are they? Expensive? :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are the prices I paid at Amazon, but I did not shop around. When I found what I liked and what accomplished my goals from a reputable business, I ordered.

Speck See Thru Satin Case for 15-Inch MacBook Pro Unibody SD Card Slot Compatible - Black (MB15AU-SAT-BLK-D) $30.99

Protective Decal Skin Sticker for Macbook PRO 15 (release 2009 ONE piece Trackpad) 15.4 inch screen case cover macbook15-09-Ltop2PS-39 $22.95

GTMax Aluminum Unibody Apple MacBook / Pro / Air Silicone Keyboard Skin Cover... $2.48

Shipping was most reasonable and the whole order was basically $60. Pennies compared to replacement and repair costs, even if I did the labor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.