PowerBook AC Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hey guys... I've been working with and loving my 17" PowerBook so far, but today after installing 1 gig of Crucial RAM I noticed that for some reason my AC adapter refuses to actually charge my battery. I plug it in and my computer detects it and changes to the power adapter settings, but the light on the adapter-to-laptop part does not light up and my computer does not charge. However, it seems to be able to charge the battery when the computer is either off or asleep, though with a darker orange light than is usually there... seems really weird to me. Anyone know if this is something common and easily solved?

H

Harryc

There isn't much involved in replacing the RAM, but you did remove your battery...have you tried taking it out and reseating it?

OP
Discerptor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Harryc said:
There isn't much involved in replacing the RAM, but you did remove your battery...have you tried taking it out and reseating it?
Yes, many times. Do you think maybe I screwed on the RAM door too tightly and the battery is sitting too deep in the pocket?

H

Harryc

Maybe pram got messed up while taking the battery in and out. Try resetting it.

OP
Discerptor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:
Maybe pram got messed up while taking the battery in and out. Try resetting it.
Did that once too, lol

OP
Discerptor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys, I figured out what the problem was. Apparently the PowerBook didn't like me using its power adapter/charger while the thing white wire was coiled up around the hooks on the brick so many times. Thanks for your help, though! Figuring out it wasn't something serious made me check the stupid things someone like me would overlook. :dummy:

H

Harryc

Good news that you figured it out. Just something to keep in mind in the future, is that while the cord was wrapped around the hooks it most likely was intermittently shorting or internally broken if the charger was not working. If you see the problem again, then at least you know what the most likely source of it is. :).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.