Problem Using Super Duper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I have upgraded to Lion the same day it was released and have had no problems. Super Duper has worked fine until today. Microsoft sent a vital update for Messenger. I allowed the microsoft update to complete.

Anytime software or operating system updates are installed I always update Super Duper. When I tried to update this time I keep getting an error. I the effort to get to the root cause I just formatted the drive and relaunched Super Duper but I still have an error. It goes so far and then stops. I'm not an expert at reading the log but have attached that portion of the log that seems to identify the problem. Can someone help me with this issue? I have sent the log to Super Duper but I hate to go long without a good Super Duper backup. I do have an up to date Time Machine Backup. It does not seem to be affected. My system is in the sig. 500 Gb backup hard drive. I have 366 GB or so of free hard drive space on the mac HDD.

Thanks,

Pat

| 07:56:01 PM | Info | /.MobileBackups
| 07:56:25 PM | Info | Error copying /.MobileBackups/Computer/2011-07-21-192334/Volume/Users/pmmm1713/.Trash/Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg to /Volumes/Super Duper/.MobileBackups/Computer/2011-07-21-192334/Volume/Users/pmmm1713/.Trash/Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg of type 8 due to error 28
| 07:56:25 PM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying /.MobileBackups/Computer/2011-07-21-192334/Volume/Users/pmmm1713/.Trash/Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg to /Volumes/Super Duper/.MobileBackups/Computer/2011-07-21-192334/Volume/Users/pmmm1713/.Trash/Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg of type 8 due to error 28: No space left on device

C

chas_m

The key things here are the file in question that's having trouble -- the Lion installer -- and the last bit of what you sent: "No space left on device."

If your backup drive is actually CALLED "Super Duper," then what could be happening is that SD has been trying to make an ALL-NEW backup -- of Lion -- alongside your old backup (of Snow Leopard), thus filling the drive up.

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I previously formatted the hard drive and it shows 500 gb of free hard disc space and the Mac I am backing up only has 112 or so used. So there should be plenty of space. But just to be sure I reformatted the drive and have renamed it to Lion Super Duper and will retry. Disc utility shows the drive completely free and it only has the 1 partition. The drive is a Seagate and is only a couple of months old. All tests performed on the drive came back just fine.

I am trying again and will report.

Thank you.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the external is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and selected GUID under partition?

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The key things here are the file in question that's having trouble -- the Lion installer -- and the last bit of what you sent: "No space left on device."

If your backup drive is actually CALLED "Super Duper," then what could be happening is that SD has been trying to make an ALL-NEW backup -- of Lion -- alongside your old backup (of Snow Leopard), thus filling the drive up.

I moved too quickly and now I think I may be in trouble. Super Duper answered my failure report. This is what they told me to do but I have already deleted my Super Duper backup.

"You have damage on the source volume. Please boot from your recovery partition/volume and run disk utility from the tools, utility or installer menu (the bold one that says "installer" next to the Apple Menu at the top of the screen)-- Depending on the version you have.

Then use the First Aid tab to repair the drive, using the buttons on the right (NOT Repair Permissions on the left)Repeat until no problems are found, start back up from your regular drive and try again.

Dave Replied from Shirt pocket. But never expecting it to be a source volume error I have already deleted super super from which I would boot from.

So what do I do now to repair the Mac drive. Do I boot from lion install disc that I made and then follow his directions?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

C

chas_m

Yes, that would work -- or you can just boot your current HD holding the option key down, a Lion Recovery volume will appear (choose it) and that will offer you the same options (in a more aesthetically pleasing graphical way ...) as Dave mentioned. You can run Disk Utility from there, repair the volume and then restart. Let us know how it goes.

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most Excellent Chas_m. I appreciate the comeback. I will probably hold off doing this tonight and complete the process tomorrow. I have to get up at the crack of dawn and get to work. I will do this process at the office. You can be sure that i will post back and provide the update.

Another lesson learned. My computer seems to be working just fine. I should obviously have exhibited more patience. Frankly I never imagined a response would come back from SuperDuper as quickly as it came. Props to Dave for sure.

I will post the results tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Pat

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update and conclusion

Good morning all.

Chas_m I have the update that I promised. Just a brief recap. Last night you suggested that I essentially rename the Super Duper backup. I did that. I verified that the hard drive was formatted and only had one partition that was fully usable. I then renamed the Super Duper backup to Lion Super Duper, essentially starting the Super Duper backup over by doing this. I never saw any evidence of a Snow Leopard backup anywhere on the Super Duper disk.

But I also deleted the Microsoft App that updated itself. I never use it anyway and just took the program and deposited it into my trash can from my applications folder. The program was named Messenger. (I believe.)

So last night the Super Duper back did complete with zero errors. Just like it always did. Well I was thinking maybe it would on the initial backup but when I tried to do a subsequent backup it would fail. When I got into work this morning I fired up the notebook with no problem. The system loaded up like it always does. I then did a time machine backup which worked perfectly. I then proceeded to attach the Super Duper drive and did a backup on that. It worked perfectly with no hitches whatsoever. I have one final test to do and that is to make sure that I can boot from the disk but I will try that this afternoon.

I really do not know what caused the error yesterday. I'm not sure if it was the Messenger update or some type of dual backup scheme, Lion and Snow Leopard, that was corrected when I renamed the backup. I just have no idea.

I never executed any kind of disk repair. So my next step is to verify that I can boot from the Super Duper disk and if so I plan to do nothing. If it ain't broke don't fix it. That seems to be a pretty solid response dealing with Mac's. Would you agree that to do nothing is correct? I have no other symptoms. The computer starts, stops and behaves just like it always has with not discernible issues.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will have to give credit to Chas_m for helping me again.

I will perform one more Super Duper backup later in the day after data has been added, changed etc. just to ensure the problem has been eliminated.

Thanks again.

Pat

I just tested the Super Duper backup and it worked perfectly fine. I also tested the ability to boot from the backup and that worked just fine as well. I was also able to see the Lion Recovery Partition. I still am going to leave well enough alone and not do any repair work to the Mac HDD. Everything seems to be going great guns. So I am considering this problem solved. (Although I'm still in the dark as to what actually fixed the problem.)

C

chas_m

Sounds like the Messenger update wasn't ready for Lion or some such thing. Wouldn't be surprising, MS is always a little behind on such things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.