noob question

Reaction score
Hi all, first time Mac user here. Just bought a new 2011 11" MBA, and I friggen love it. I looked around for an answer to this one, and couldn't find it, so, without further ado, here's my noob question: Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between open tabs in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes. Hold Shift-Command-}. It will move to the next tab to the right and you can go left by using { instead of }.

That is for tabs. If you have multiple Safari windows open, use Command-~.

OP
M
Reaction score
Aaah... Easy as pie. Thank you very much. I asked two friends with Macs today after posting this and they both said there wasn't a keyboard shortcut. I would have been astonished if this was actually the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I always use Shift+Command and the right or left arrow keys. To change Tabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", i7 2GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.7.1 - iPhone 3GS
MYmacROX & macwannabe, THANKS!!! I gave you both a rep on that to say thanks on a great tip. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aaah... Easy as pie. Thank you very much. I asked two friends with Macs today after posting this and they both said there wasn't a keyboard shortcut. I would have been astonished if this was actually the case.

MYmacROX & macwannabe, THANKS!!! I gave you both a rep on that to say thanks on a great tip. :D

Glad to be of assistance. (thanks for the rep ;D)

This will be of interest to those who enjoy keyboard shortcuts.
Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

Reaction score
One think I've noticed in my 1+ week Mac ownership is that this command tab shortcut will frequently just stop working.

What works for me to restore it is to type (in terminal) "killall dock"

Hope this helps if the problem ever happens to you.

Anyone have an idea as to why this shortcut just stops working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never use that shortcut and instead use the 4 finger swipe upwards in Lion to open up Mission Control to change window focus. Alternatively I can use F3 on my MBP for the same thing. But, I am all about gestures as I find they make interfacing with Lion much easier for me. I did not have Snow Leopard for long, but I think the gesture was the same for expose with the same basic results.

When you ask for help, the gurus usually want to know what kind of Mac you are running and the version of OS X, etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mission Control does not even begin to do the same thing as command tab - unless you have every app that you have not quit still on your desktop. You're going to need command tab to open any app that's been minimized without just re-opening it from the dock.

dvd: As to why yours is not working all the time - ?? - not a normal happening. I'd be looking to see what apps are open when it occurs. And also - it'd be a better to start a new thread with a new topic than posting in one with a totally different question for tech help.

Reaction score
Mission Control does not even begin to do the same thing as command tab - unless you have every app that you have not quit still on your desktop. You're going to need command tab to open any app that's been minimized without just re-opening it from the dock.

dvd: As to why yours is not working all the time - ?? - not a normal happening. I'd be looking to see what apps are open when it occurs. And also - it'd be a better to start a new thread with a new topic than posting in one with a totally different question for tech help.

I didn't start a new thread on my problem because a quick google found it is a pretty common issue. Thats where I found the killall dock solution.

C

chas_m

I can't say that I've ever experienced "command tab not working." I suppose if you were in a different program that had an alternate use for command-tab, then it might not work, but otherwise I'd have to say something's not right there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't say that I've ever experienced "command tab not working." I suppose if you were in a different program that had an alternate use for command-tab, then it might not work, but otherwise I'd have to say something's not right there.

Ditto. Word for word, this is my sentiment exactly. Never had a problem using that combo, used it since day 1, something's not right. Not a normal occurrence or complaint. Take your Mac to the Apple store if this is a real problem.

Terminal commands are not for troubleshooting issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That is actually what I discovered and got used to doing with window tiles stacked around my desktop. :Oops: But so far it works for me! hahaha

Thanks for the heads up bobtomay, I may play around with that new shortcut to see if there is any difference I notice in system performance or efficiency with my user style.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.