• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Doubts cast on rumor of Apple buying Barnes & Noble

Reaction score
Doubts cast on rumor of Apple buying Barnes & Noble

Responding to a new rumor that Apple is considering a purchase of bookseller Barnes & Noble, one Wall Street analyst has said he doesn't think such a deal would make much sense for the iPhone maker.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Hmm...

I don't think it would make much if any sense for Apple to buy out B&N. If anything, the iBookstore has most everything a B&N store has on the shelves (like a sign language book Mom needed).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, I've found the iBooks store and B&N e-books to both be severely lacking when compared to the Kindle store. I found myself in a B&N the other day and was looking up e-books on Amazons Kindle store that neither B&N nor iBooks had (although B&N has the books in the store). Amazon got $30 of my money, Apple and B&N got $0.

Reaction score
Actually, I've found the iBooks store and B&N e-books to both be severely lacking when compared to the Kindle store. I found myself in a B&N the other day and was looking up e-books on Amazons Kindle store that neither B&N nor iBooks had (although B&N has the books in the store). Amazon got $30 of my money, Apple and B&N got $0.

I don't buy from Amazon, if ever. So I really wouldn't know about what's available there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't buy from Amazon, if ever. So I really wouldn't know about what's available there.

I thought we were talking about Barnes& Noble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
See baggss comment about Kindle. ;P

Given the context of the comment about iBooks and B&N my comments about Amazon are relevant. iBooks and B&N are both direct competitors to Amazons Kindle store and Apple buying B&N (however unlikely it may be) would likely result in the merging of the two digital book repositories and thus provide a more robust iBooks capability.

In short, we are discussing B&N and Apple but any discussion that includes digital books and the two companies should include the 3rd, stronger, competitor. Hence Amazon.

All that being said buying the brick and mortar stores of B&N would likely be a mistake for Apple plain and simple. It's WAY out of their business lane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not to mention B&N would give Apple a lot more leverage with publishers with regard to digital book deals since they also would then have a physical book presence. This is exactly why Amazon has the power it does.

However, since iBooks is not at all even close to be important to the core business of iOS, I can't see them wasting their money just for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.