I must have really drank the Kool-aid!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
I just find it really funny that I seem to latch on to whatever in on my iMac without even once trying to find an alternate.

I heard many say that I may not like Safari, but I really enjoy it.
I heard many say that Pages wasn't a good replacement for Word, and yet I love it.
Everything on this iMac I absolutely love and seem to be loving it more and more every day.

I'm guessing it's because I just got so worn down on glitchy hardware, software, etc whilst in the windows world, that everything is seeming fresh now a days.

I find myself doing everything possible to avoid ANY windows specific programs and I have NO plans at all to run any version of windows in bootcamp either.

I guess I'm just a very happy camper right now. Been almost 2 months for me and my enthusiasm only grows with time.

Anyone else relate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm guessing it's because I just got so worn down on glitchy hardware, software, etc whilst in the windows world, that everything is seeming fresh now a days.

Yup. That! :)

I got a new car 2 months ago and had a 17 yr old piece of junk before that. My new car feels like the fanciest ride in the world even though it's nowhere near as fancy as a Cadillac or BMW but I love it just as much as I would one of those. Everything is relative. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", i7 2GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.7.1 - iPhone 3GS
I do not yet have the time that you do with my MBP, but I do feel the same way. It seems like torture to have to use a Vista machine for work, especially the mouse. I really cannot tolerate the 4 minute shutdowns; pity that power supply keeps losing power. ;)

I was using FireFox as a sort of crutch, but after upgrading to Lion and losing all my gestures I went to Safari and have not looked back. I love it! I found how to customize it and just started using the extensions. AdBlock? WIN! Safari Restore? WIN! The more I get comfortable and settled in, the more I enjoy my Mac and look forward to a Mac desktop. Even if it is bias, I find programs on a Mac not only of course work better and faster, but also do what they are supposed to do while meeting and exceeding my highest expectations.

Fanboi? Naw. My loyalty just goes where things are done right and if the shoe fits...it sports an Apple logo.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I'm just a very happy camper right now. Been almost 2 months for me and my enthusiasm only grows with time.

Have you upgraded to Lion yet or are you still waiting "until the kinks get worked out"? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
See, I was an IE guy in the windows world. I still am. IE9 is nice and it does everything I need it to do. I know some will comment on viruses and malware and such, but I watch where I go and what boxes pop up and I have not gotten a single virus in over 5 years. I dont even run virus/malware scanners on my Bootcamp'd Win7 load. Just pay attention.

I have no issues in Safari, though it has taken a while to get used to where things are located in it compared to IE. No issues now. The iPad has helped a lot with that. However I am finding myself clicking on the title bars of applications to jump to the top now... I have been enjoying my foray into the OSX world and have found the applications and equivilants from my Win7 load that allows me to be in OSX 90% of the time and only swapping to Win7 for CS3, Vegas and DVD Fab.

And I still dont run virus software...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Have you upgraded to Lion yet or are you still waiting "until the kinks get worked out"? ;D

LOL. Haven't yet...but not really because of any "kinks", but mainly because I'm really enjoying learning Snow Leopard. Not sure if that's a bad idea or not, but I am already just so comfortable with the way things work that I'm a bit apprehensive about changing anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
LOL. Haven't yet...but not really because of any "kinks", but mainly because I'm really enjoying learning Snow Leopard. Not sure if that's a bad idea or not, but I am already just so comfortable with the way things work that I'm a bit apprehensive about changing anything.

I too am only a couple months in but I made the leap to Lion and haven't looked back. Safari will blow your mind. I think it is sooooo much better than the SL version. I did the simple upgrade, after listening to the old pros here, the upgrade was painless didn't take much time and I'm really happy with the results. So much so that I had to go and buy a Magic Mouse for my system. It's the cat's meow in my opinion.

I must have a Win 7 install (for work) and I use Parallels to accomplish that but the upgrade was still flawlessly executed. (I use AV on the Win 7 side but nothing on the Mac side. I've never have had a virus or malware on a WIN 7 installation. I'm real careful.)

For $29.00 it's a bargain.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
It's not exactly Kool-Ade like the 90's anymore, it had it's GatorAde Stage(a Computer without a Floppy or Apple Serial?!) Sunny-D stages("Unix? It looks nice on that Lamp thing dude.") Then the switch to Brisk Tea(Intel...it can run...Windows?)then The Lipton Hot tea era ("Wow..that's thin,wonder if it can cut cake?") and now it's a fine Ceylon Earl Grey. It stopped being Kool-Ade when it's Stock stopped killing people with poison.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
MacPastor, you didn't drink too much Cupertino Kool Aid. The apps that are included with modern Macs are pretty good and all some people need for day-to-day computing.

I have been writing a series about this for that very reason. I think many people buy new software without knowing fully what existing software. I've certainly been guilty of that in the past.

C

chas_m

Safari -- particularly the latest version -- is pretty awesome. I've always preferred it to browsers that are primarily built with a Windows audience in mind (though most of them try hard to make it look "Mac native," only Safari genuinely is).

Pages is TOTALLY awesome. It only looks less so when you place it next to Keynote, possibly the most amazing "business" app on earth. I spend much of my early life labouring in the graphic-design mines, and Pages runs RINGS around programs costing hundreds of dollars more for non-high-end publishing needs. As for the WP mode, yes there are better "pure" word processors, but Pages works really very well in that mode as well. It's underrated as a word processor, for sure -- and for most people (again without very particular requirements for certain esoteric features), it's a SPLENDID replacement for Word (though please don't interpret that as me saying Word is bad, it's perfectly fine).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Glad you're enjoying your experience.

FWIW though, don't write off Microsoft's Mac software though, it's a different group and they put out great stuff.

I'm one of the people in the camp that if you need serious word processor or spreadsheet software, Office 2011 is so much better than iWork it's not even funny. iWork is decent for causal use but it lacks the power features needed by more complicated functions.

You just have to judge based on your need. But certainly don't just judge it because it's Microsoft.

Also, Word was a Mac app first before it was a Windows app ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.