Where to buy windows?

Reaction score
Ok so i just got my mac, and the only windows program i am looking to run is fruity loops. Im looking for windows 7, windows xp, or vista, either will do. My question is, will i be able to download a copy (pay for it of course) and load it through bootcamp? As i was messing around with bootcamp it said i would need an authorized disc or something, which i wouldn't have if i bought it online. Does this mean i can't buy it offline? I don't think stores sell vista or xp any more, and i certainly can't afford a full copy of windows 7 just for 1 program. Can someone give me all my options (cheapest options) that i can do for getting windows on my mac? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't tell us which Mac you have as it makes a difference which version of Windows you buy. If you have a late model Mac, the only option is to install Windows 7 as XP and Vista are not supported. (no drivers)

As for buying Windows 7, that's easy. Amazon, NewEgg, and many other on line suppliers stock the full OEM system builders version of Home Premium, usually for around $100 or so. You can also purchase direct from the Microsoft on line store but the prices will be higher.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a 27 inch imac, the latest model. I am also running the osx lion. So your saying on this mac i won't be able to load windows xp home edition onto bootcamp? I already ordered a copy it online, if it won't work in bootcamp is their another program that will let me run xp so i can use fruity loops? Thats the only program I'm interested in using.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
XP will definitely not work on your new iMac - at least from Boot Camp. There are no XP or Vista drivers included for the Mid 2011 iMac machines. (I know, I also have one.)

I'm not familiar with the game "Fruity Loops" so I can't comment on whether or not it will run from a virtual machine. However, since you already ordered XP it won't hurt to try to install VM software and then XP to a VM. I suggest downloading the free VirtualBox VM software from here.

Install the software and then install XP. However, if the game needs graphics power or 3D, it may not run well or at all in a virtual machine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Fruity loops is a music program like garage band so that wont work, ppl are telling me if the windows xp has service pack 3 it will work woth bootcamp, can anyone verify this?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I'm not familiar with the game "Fruity Loops"

Oh god this made me laugh so hard. I have a friend who swears by this piece of software and hates it when we take the mickey out of its name.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fruity loops is a music program like garage band so that wont work, ppl are telling me if the windows xp has service pack 3 it will work woth bootcamp, can anyone verify this?

It won't install. You'll receive a message that states it's not supported. Even if you used a work around to install XP SP3 via Boot Camp, there are no drivers available for your iMac. Can you get a refund for XP? Don't remove the seal from the box.

Reaction score
Definitely exchange it for Win7 if you can. Then all will work smoothly in Boot Camp. If you break the seal, your only option would be to resell XP or install it in a virtual machine, as described above, and try running your software that way.

Older versions of the Mac and Leopard/Snow Leopard supported XP because Apple made drivers available, which is where the confusion is coming from - the folks telling you that are probably running it on older machines and older versions of OSX. But Apple stopped issuing XP drivers with their latest generations of Macs and Lion - so no more XP support.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.