Trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
I have lots of stuff in the Trash, is it good practice to clean it out periodically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What is "lots of stuff"?
What is periodically?

Empty the Trash when you are certain whatever is in there is not something you might want back. I'm a little OCD with the Trash, so I secure empty every day. But that's just me...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's not necessarily "good practice" but if there's no reason to keep the files, get rid of them. They're taking up space otherwise.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Thanks for the input, I like to keep unnecessary stuff off if I can.I'll empty the trash. Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Ever since I have switched I have found myself almost TOO obsessed with keeping this thing in tip top shape.

So far I have made a folder for EVERY single file I have on my system. I keep NOTHING except my Time Machine Drive label on my desktop and my trash is cleaned out the moment I'm done with whatever session I'm doing. So I might clean out my Trash 5 or 10 times a day.

But yeah, I just looked at all the crap I have strewn all over my desktop on my work pc and I can't even pick stuff out anymore.

In fact, I just emptied my recycle bin and found I had over 13 GIGS worth of stuff in there. Craziness!!

C

chas_m

Thanks to Time Machine, there really is NO REASON to use the Trash as "storage" anymore. Just empty the trash every time you put something in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.