pdf will not display correctly on iPad or iPhone

Reaction score
I put together a monthly newsletter that is 20 to 30 pages long every month for my club using iWorks Pages. The newsletter contains graphics and text on every page, a mixture of jpgs & png files all in rgb as this is meant to be viewed and not printed. I then use Acrobat to "optimize" and "reduce file size" to make the file more portable. The file displays fine on my iMac and my Mac Book Pro but when I try viewing the pdf file on my iPhone or iPad, the majority of the graphics disappear. Most of the text is viewable but no other content can be seen. Does anyone know a program or another work around I'm not using that would make the graphics show up?

Here is a link to my last newsletter if you would care to play with the file.

http://www.midsouthwoodturners.com/Newsletter_files/0711talk.pdf

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
What program are you using to view the pdf on your iPad?

The marketing agency I work for does a lot of PDF eBook stuff for iPad (including work for Adobe themselves) and we've found the app Good Reader is much more feature rich and more stable than any other one.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'll try the Good Reader and see if it functions better. I've been using what came with the iPad but on the iPhone I tried PDF Reader and PDF Viewer and both had issues with the files. I skipped the "reduce file size" step on the last pdf I created and it views correctly. I just have to sacrifice a couple of MB on the file size.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
iBooks also has the ability to handle PDFs.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what's going on. I tried to pull up your link on Mobile Safari on my iPad and most of the content wasn't visible. Looked at it on my PC and can see it fine. Will have to wait until I get home to pull it up on my Mac and see what I can do with it.

EDIT: Still working on getting it to work in iBooks, but Good Reader works fine, just have to export the PDF from Preview to get a file to upload to iPad APP.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It also works just fine with iBooks. The key appears to be using Preview to export the file, then uploading the exported PDF to your iPad. For some reason not able to work with it as downloaded straight from your website.

HTH
Razormac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.