Parallels

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going to be switching to an IMAC soon, but I would like to keep on using a professional video editing software called lightworks (http://www.lightworksbeta.com/) which is currently only available on windows.

I was hoping if someone could tell me if installing Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/discover/) on my mac would enable me to use a video editing software like lightworks???

Anyone know??

Also generally how are IMAC's for editing and I dont mean IMOVIE.

Thanks

Reaction score
For some reason I can't get your post to come up. However, for professional video editing applications, you are typically better off in Boot Camp rather than a virtual machine because in BC you access your native video hardware.

My advice would be to purchase Windows, and install it in Boot Camp. Then, use Parallels, Fusion (both of which have a 30-day free trial period) or VirtualBox (free from Sun) to create a virtual machine from it. Install your editing software and try running it both ways. If the VM works for you, that's usually simpler in the long run. But if not, then just use Windows and your software under Boot Camp.

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for that, i'll try with boot camp first. Seems to be the simpler method anyway.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
For some reason I can't get your post to come up. However, for professional video editing applications, you are typically better off in Boot Camp rather than a virtual machine because in BC you access your native video hardware.

My advice would be to purchase Windows, and install it in Boot Camp. Then, use Parallels, Fusion (both of which have a 30-day free trial period) or VirtualBox (free from Sun) to create a virtual machine from it. Install your editing software and try running it both ways. If the VM works for you, that's usually simpler in the long run. But if not, then just use Windows and your software under Boot Camp.

Cheers

Last I heard, VirtualBox does not allow for virtualization of Boot Camp partitions. Unless they've recently changed that...

Boot Camp is pretty easy to boot in and out of. If you don't want to restart each time you need to use light works, then you will have to pay for Parallels or Fusion.

Either way, you will need a retail copy of Windows to install on your Mac. And installing Windows via Boot Camp will give you full use of your Mac's resources, allowing for a smoother operation of your Windows software.

Reaction score
Thanks, I haven't checked that on VirtualBox. It might be easier just to install Windows in Virtual Box first - the Boot Camp installation is NOT easier; a VM installation is actually MUCH easier. I would try that first (VM) and if it doesn't work out so well, then go the Boot Camp route. Most of the posts on this forum are from folks whose Boot Camp installations went awry or caused them some, ah, "puzzlement." :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.