Mac v Pc

B

bells0

Hey all

A quick question!

Am thinkin of gettin a Mac laptop, mainly for wireless broadband for round the house and basic digital photo and Ipod stuff, maybe even some simple home movie editing.

Am trying to decide between a 12in powerbook or a 14in new G4 iBook [any ideas?]

The other half wants me to get a Pc laptop, as they are so much more pwerful for the money [she is a software developer]. So, the question is, is a 1ghz g4iBook or Powerbook the same as a 1ghz Pc laptop with centrino??

Cheers for any help or advice

Chris, U.K. [where Macs are 15% more expensive : ( ]

OP
F

Fomer

Well keep in mind 2gigs pc is not really better than 1 gig Apple. They are completly different processors. Took me awhile to grasp that, with the help the friendly people here I did. :)

If I was you I'd go with the 14 inch Ibook, bigger screen and it's pull the 60 GB HD, as apposed to a 40 GB.

Everything else looks pretty even so it comes down to what you really want. For 100 dollars less you grab a bigger screen, in some aspects more powerful computer. And if its the metal look of the PB gotcha wanting it, cast that away (dont get me wrong I love my PB) But the novality wears off, of the looks. Not implying the ibook looks bad. But obviously anyone with two eyes can tell the PB has a sleeker design, maybe even one eye. :)

And your better half, could take full advantage of Darwin if you switch too Apple.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
PowerBook. the iBook is too cripled.

OP
H

htyped

Everyone will have their idea on what to get. I just got a 14 inchG4 ibook and went through the same decision as you did. Depends on what you're using it for. Powerbook is nice but I'm sick of the 12 inch screens. I've had 3 12 inch thinkpads over the years and the screen is just a bit too small. I really enjoy the larger 14 inch screen. If i had the money I'd get the new 15 inch powerbook, but that's not the case.

The 14 inch is limited to 640 mb of ram. That's not too bad depending on what you're using it for. If it's for gaming and intense stuff, better to go with desktop. For my uses the 1ghz g4 is pretty decent.

I was about to get another PC, but after talking to a few people, got persuaded to switch and I really enjoy using the Apple. It's 100% true that you can't compare speed of the cpu anymore. They run off different architecture so there's no point to compare. The G4 1ghz does run as quick as a P4 2ghz PC though. It took a while to grasp that for me, but eventually got convinced.

Lastly, the laptop looks gorgeous. There are a few PC that can compare, but most are just ugly.

OP
B

bells0

looks like i'm gonna go for the 933 G4.

want the 1ghz but is £1200 [$1900!!] in ripoff UK.

at least if i get the 933 at £1000 [$1600] i can afford to get an aiport extreme card and a wireless router.

speaking of which, do u guys all use the exreme basestation?? looks well expensive, can i just get a normal wi-fi wireless router for half the price?

cheers for help guys

Chris, about to become a Mac-er

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Im 90% sure you can use regular Airport cards on the extreme basestation, Im not sure if you can use the extreme card on the v2. (or 1.something) basestation.. i think its gota be extreme, but since I am still in the process of loving hard wired connections and not yet felt the wireless power, i never bothered figuring out.

OP
B

bells0

well, last night i went to Pc World and ordered a 933ghz G4 iBook for £999.99 with nothing to pay for 12 months!!

i know with 12 months to pay i should have gotten a powerbook, but i'm gettin married in 7 months and about to move into a new 4 bedroomed house, so cash is fairly scarce at the mo [and the other half would chop my nuts off if i spent more then a grand seen as i have earmarked a bedroom as a cinema room!!]

sure to be posting plenty of questions soon as it arrives

Cheers all

Chris U.K.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.