Ante Deluvian iMac - network & file transfer

Reaction score
I have been gifted a 1997 Mark 1 iMac - G3, (750 core I think) a marvellous 192MB ram, 15G disk, cd drive, 10 or 100MB nic and MacOS-9.0.4. It is in 'good' shape. It is surrounded by pcs using mainly linux, and an Android smartphone. I do have windows 64 business as an option on the laptop. It does have Adobe illustrator 9 which I would at least like to look at before retiring it. 2 quick questions from a mac noob

1. "network" means a dialup 56k modem to this imac. How do I convince it to use dhcp and the network card? The only thing that acknowledges the network card is something called 'airport'. It just needs to ask for a dhcp IP and it will get one. It was apparently plugged into various networks by an accountant some years back. It wants passwords.
If I connect any usb disk (dos mbr) it wants to find apple's site for drivers. Are any drivers still up on Apple's site or is this an ancient joke?

2. File transfer is an issue. I know partition types, and disk formats are different. I can configure a linux kernel for mac partitions, and disks, but lose out on hardware: I have ide & sata, the mac is scsi. I have an ssh server, can burn cds (presuming iso9660 is common to pcs & imacs?). What's under the hood for me to use in the basic mark 1 imac?

Somebody must have written this file transfer issue up. Can you point me where?

Thanks very much.

The Business Kid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.