Is 128 SSD enough space?

Reaction score
Hello, I am an 18 year old who is about to go to college and I am getting a 13-inch macbook pro and I have been thinking about getting the 128 GB ssd instead of the 500 GB @ 7200 rpm hdd. But I am not totally sure 128 GB is enough even though I think it is.

To give you some background I am a business major so I dont think I will be editing or dealing with videos or pictures bc im no photographer. Also, general programs I will have are all the general apple things and windows 2011, adobe creative suite 5.5, acrobat x pro, identity finder for home edition, and symantec endpoint protection 11.0.

Also I would like this computer and the 128 GB to last me 5 years.

So is 128 GB enough? Also I understand it is pretty easy to put a third party ssd so would that be better and does that break warrant?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
storing word documents and general image files such as jpegs? Fine.

storing music, video, games, intense amounts of apps? Not really. CS5 is a pretty hefty amount of GB as it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
I get on fine with 128 on my air, i run some dj apps and use it allot for work ie word, excel stuff. You will be surprised how far it goes. However you do find yourself consciously being very careful and mindful of what you use. Just depends whether you can live with that or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
256gb is better, It's like, you don't need to worry that much and will be able to storage many things you use.

I'm planning to get one for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
A lot of times people discover how easy it is to store music,photos,videos and other
assorted files and programs that they do more than on their previous OS and space becomes an issue.

Reaction score
If you are worried about pictures and music, get an external to store those files to.

Reaction score
Just get the 128 model and buy an external hard drive. You're going to get a TON of space for the remainder you saved as opposed to getting 128 more gigs of on space storage. Of course, if you can't live with having some files on an external drive, you might have to go with the 256.

On my 320gb drive, I had a ton of space left off after having TONS of photos, music files, and all of my documents and videos (how many videos do you need to keep on the drive anyway?) I did not play games, however, so that's a big chunk that was left free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like the old question is a piece of string long enough. Resolve not to download and/or install too much iTunes, apps, games, photos etc and you will be A OK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just get the 128 model and buy an external hard drive.

My sediments exactly.
And WD have some pretty small 320GB, 500GB Ext that will fit in your pocket. Now thats portable ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looking into his coffee cup maybe? No doubt done in jest!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Plunger actually . . . . .

Oh well *throws hands in the air* All i can say is it can happen to the best of us ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
Not to stir the pot at all but the main benefit I have noticed with ssd is speed. Now supposedly they are also supposed to less prone to mechanical brake down. but that being siad i have a pc that i installed an ssd in and it crapped out in less then 3 months. i also have to say that that particular rig is used for gaming and nothing more and the only reason i opted for the ssd was speed. Personally I still feel that ssd are far to much money for speed you will never notice if not using the rig for gaming. Just my humble observation. Btw it is kind of fun to brag up your ssd tho.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
A pure SSD is faster - but from what you've mentioned, consider the seagate momentus xt (if you are willing to put in the hard drive)
Seagate Momentus XT hybrid hard drive review -- Engadget
There have been varying reports on getting warranty work when you have replaced parts, but if the HD fails and it isn't officially Apple's HD then they aren't going to warranty that of course.

Anyway - I have put the 500GB version into my old Dell Laptop and my Macbook Pro. It has been a good compromise of speed vs cost vs size. I still get 500GB but I do see some speed up. Check the review (and search the web) - There were some early reports of issues with Macs but I think that has all been shaken out. I haven't had any problems with Snow Leopard, and Lion seems to be running fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.