• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is this worth it? Macbook for garageband

Reaction score
I really wanted a macbook pro for using garageband but have been offered this from someone at work...

Macbook
2.2 GHZ Unibody Boxed
4GB RAM
64GB Solid State Drive (I can swap this for a 500GB Hard Drive if purchaser prefers)
320GB Hard Drive
Snow leopard installed
iLife installed
iWork installed

£500

Is this a reasonable price and will the specs run garageband with multiple tracks?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It will run GarageBand. You will definitely want a larger HDD. 64GB will run out very fast.

Have you looked at the Referb prices on Apple's site? you may get a lot better machine for the money that way with a full warranty.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Deckyon, no i hadnt checked the refurb option i will look into that now.

The seller was offering to put in a 500gb hard drive, would be sufficient for garageband?

Thanks again

OP
M
Reaction score
I have just checked the refurb site and the closet thing (and nearest in price) is

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally released May 2010
13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
2GB (2 x 1GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
£734.00
Save £133.00
15% off

In comparison spec / price would you suggest it was a good deal?

With regard the warranty im not too bothered, the person who is selling it works in the same company and im sure if anything went wrong he would help me out.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
the machine is a good price for the spec, 500 gig will be ample for garage band, your needed drive space will depend on how much content you are storing locally, and how many projects you are working on at any one time. I would suggest a external drive to archive old work. But you won't need it for a while as 500 gig is lots of room.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks geraint84,

After looking around for similar spec macbooks and on your advice i think im going to go ahead and get it.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
no worries, hope you enjoy it!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.