• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will Apple ever drop the "i" prefix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
It's genius marketing. It's synonymous with all things Apple. You see the little "i" in front of any word and you automatically think of Apple and Steve Jobs.

That said, I've gotta think it'll eventually run its course. From what I've read the "i" first stood for "internet" because the iMac was the first computer that was internet ready out of the box. Over the years it has changed from a letter that actually meant something, to simply a trademark for the company ...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Perhaps I just get tired of all the other companies ripping off the "i" prefix. It seems to be all over the place now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not likely since their newest product is named iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I think they will eventually. Not anytime soon though. I would imagine eventially they will either run out of names, or rebrand new products with the older names. We've already seen this happen with "iBook" - I think we might see more single words eventually. When though, not sure. Like I said though, not in the immediate future. I think we have quite a ways to go before they completely stop making new products and tacking an "i" on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Yes. When the internet is replaced by a next generation tech, like the superdupernet, then it will be the sMac.

Reaction score
In spite of today's systems being radically different than their progenitors almost 30 years ago, Apple's computers are still called Macintosh. They never did move to Red Delicious, Jonathan, or Gala. And that's why I think, so long as people associate "i" with Apple, they'll keep it around.

M

mydisplaycare11

I don't think it's probable. Can you imagine just having Pad, Pod, Mac? I think people just associate the "i" with apple products and it's a great marketing already! they'll probably keep it up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's certainly possible. Apple dropped the rainbow icon after years of use, in favor of the solid Apple logo. Apple changed from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc. a few years ago to broaden their scope from solely desktop and portable computers to include personal electronics and mobile devices. It won't be an easy change, for sure, as they're so entrenched in i-products, but not iMpossible. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's probable. Can you imagine just having Pad, Pod, Mac? I think people just associate the "i" with apple products and it's a great marketing already! they'll probably keep it up

No, but I can imagine 10 years down the road when they have new products and a new infrastructure like the superdoopernet, and imagine they'll come up with some different product lines and names. You don't see the Newton around anymore, do you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's genius marketing. It's synonymous with all things Apple. You see the little "i" in front of any word and you automatically think of Apple and Steve Jobs.

Ha! ... even when it's not there! I was just reading an article about John Glenn, and the writer made reference to Life Magazine. I read it as iLife without thinking, and had to smile when I glanced back to make sure the "i" wasn't there!

My prediction: It will be around for a long time to come.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Let me ask the magic 8-ball......

"Chances are small"..

OK..so I guess maybe..or maybe not..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I bet they wish they had grabbed the iTV name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed. I'll be picking up an AppleTV in the coming weeks. I'm currently working on converting my video collection to m4v and mp4 video. 200gb down, 1tb to go. sheesh. it will be worth it though to be able to use my iPods as a remote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's certainly possible. Apple dropped the rainbow icon after years of use, in favor of the solid Apple logo. Apple changed from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc. a few years ago to broaden their scope from solely desktop and portable computers to include personal electronics and mobile devices. It won't be an easy change, for sure, as they're so entrenched in i-products, but not iMpossible. :)

I think they dropped the rainbow for simplicity sake.

They are going to take "i" with them to the grave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Perhaps, but the solid Apple logo coincided with the return of Steve Jobs to Apple and release of the iMac in 1998, so it was also likely intended as a sign of breaking away from the old, and moving into the new. Apple was releasing the first truly different computer, translucent blue, G3 processor, USB included standard and (GASP!) no floppy drive! "Rainbow Apple" graced the front of all the old beige boxes of Apple's past. The solid color Apple was it's future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, there was an eMac, then an iMac. Not sure why they skipped a, but o would be next, then u.

Reaction score
No. However they might change it around in a while when they start coming out with new devices. New as in, the next, next generation of products in 10 or so years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.