how to delete a dmg file

Reaction score
Hi, I do not know I am having the same problem. I saved some file by using disk utility and was able to open using the password that I set. But, once my mac crashed and got repaired, I had to recover all the files( including the dmg files) and stored it in DW passport. When I connect the Passport to Mac and tried to delete the dmg files, I was not able to. It says, this file cannot be deleted.Please help.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: moved to it's own thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Does it give a reason why?

In use, no permissions, etc

OP
R
Reaction score
how to delete dmg files

It says the disc cannot be mounted. The file is locked and it does not ask the password to open or I cannot remove the selection of locked as it is inactive. I tried to eject and delete it. but the original is still there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try changing permissions. Right click on the dmg file and select "get info". On the bottom of the dialog box that opens you'll see the permissions for the dmg file. Click on the small lock at the bottom and enter your admin password. The lock should open. Once it opens, change the permissions to read and write. Exit the dialog and try once more to delete the file.

OP
R
Reaction score
how to delete dmg files

Yes, I tried to do that too. It says that it is a read only file. when I set it up, it was read and write. I do not know how it turned in to read only. ' locked' is inactive too. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
I had the same problem

I accidentally downloaded 7zX and couldn't trash it. I went into finder to get my uninstaller utility but then i realised it wasn't ejected so I ejected it and then trashed is and now im good.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.