Force OSX to use internet from one of two nics

D

desantim

I have a server set up on my network at home. I connect to that with my 100base lan over cat 5 on the network. I connect to the internet through wireless. unfortunately, I cannot use the internet while the 100base card is enabled on my ibook. is there a way to force OSX to use the wireless card for internet, and leave the 100base wired nic out of the equation? It is driving me nuts.

Thanks, ~Mario

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep:

Just set up multiple locations - one that has your network configured and one that doesn't. Switch to the one without the ethernet active to stop OS X from using that.

To disable a port, go to Network setting in system prefs and select 'network port configuration' from the drop-down menu.

Remove the tick from the ethernet port to deactivate it.

OP
D

desantim

Aptmunich said:
Yep:

Just set up multiple locations - one that has your network configured and one that doesn't. Switch to the one without the ethernet active to stop OS X from using that.

To disable a port, go to Network setting in system prefs and select 'network port configuration' from the drop-down menu.

Remove the tick from the ethernet port to deactivate it.

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to find a way to get to use my file server while using the internet. I'm surprised more people haven't ran into this problem before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm... makes sense I suppose :)

What happens if you click on the 'assist me' option, and then select 'Airport' in the 'How I connect to the internet' pane first, and only add your network afterwards?

Reaction score
Put your server on the wireless network. OSX server may be designed to serve on multiple(?) networks but OSX client wont. It's the same way on wintel pc's, you can only use one IP at a time.

OP
D

desantim

It's actually a private network for my server, and a shared wireless network. Two differerent routers being used, one in my room, one about 100 feet away on the first floor of our shared house.

I think I figured it out? I've messed around with the priority of of my network devices, it is true the first one is the only one that osx looks for with internet. Now I am going to make my subnet different then that of the wireless here in the house. I think it will work. Let's hope. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Unibody, 2.4 GHz, 4GB DDR3, 80gig SSD running Snow Leopard
It's actually a private network for my server, and a shared wireless network. Two differerent routers being used, one in my room, one about 100 feet away on the first floor of our shared house.

I think I figured it out? I've messed around with the priority of of my network devices, it is true the first one is the only one that osx looks for with internet. Now I am going to make my subnet different then that of the wireless here in the house. I think it will work. Let's hope. ;-)

Did you ever get this to work? I'm interested in using Mozy.com's backup client to strictly use Wireless and the rest of my network / web surfind over my ethernet connection. Since this thread is lover 4 years old, I should mention that i'm using Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Did you ever get this to work? I'm interested in using Mozy.com's backup client to strictly use Wireless and the rest of my network / web surfind over my ethernet connection. Since this thread is lover 4 years old, I should mention that i'm using Snow Leopard.

desantim is no longer a registered member so you will not be getting a response from him. Others maybe..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.