• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to iMovie

Reaction score
Hey All:

I am new to apple and all things apple. I moved over from pc due to easier photo editing and am liking this very much so far.

I have a few questions using iMovie.

1. I am finding that my camcorder movies joined together in iMovie come out grainer than the original. Is there a setting or a trick to keep it the same or enhance it?

2. I have some video's that I would like to add tracks from itunes so how would I do that?

3. I have a few hd video's from my iPhone but it comes out really small. Is this normal?

4. If I get a high def camcorder can I burn HD to normal DVD's or how does that work?

Thanks so much

Cactus52

C

chas_m

1. I am finding that my camcorder movies joined together in iMovie come out grainer than the original. Is there a setting or a trick to keep it the same or enhance it?

You may be saving the finished product at too low a resolution. There are various formats available for exporting from iMovie, do a test with a short film to check out the differences.

2. I have some video's that I would like to add tracks from itunes so how would I do that?

Apple - Find Out How - Movies - iMovie

3. I have a few hd video's from my iPhone but it comes out really small. Is this normal?

No, not normal. This might be related to your first question. You might want to describe a little about what you do with your videos once you are done editing them.

4. If I get a high def camcorder can I burn HD to normal DVD's or how does that work?

No. Normal DVDs can only play standard definition video, so the HD video will be scaled down quite significantly. To keep HD video at its original quality, view the videos on a computer, or upload them in HD to a service like YouTube, or get an AppleTV which can stream video over to your HDTV in its full resolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, Silver. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I may have some advice for 2 and 3:

To the right of your screen in a project there is a small square to view the movie, and underneath there is a set of buttons. The one with a musical note on it is for your music/sound effects. Click on iTunes, and then search for the music you want to easily find it.

When I import my iPhone vids they come out full screen, so not sure whats happening there. I think you can change this somehow.

iMovie is really easy when you get the hang of it. Good luck!

missgiraffe;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.