Boot Camp format problems...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have had a chance to look around a little bit, but haven't really found an answer to the problem that I'm having.

I have an imac and I'm attempting to use boot camp. I have used it in the past, with prior versions of mac os x, but this is the first time that I have tried it with 10.6.8. The first thing I found out is that I can't use Windows XP, even with service pack 2 installed, because it doesn't find the "boot camp" partition. So, I recently obtained a full retail copy of Windows 7 and have been trying to install it. I have no problem with the boot camp assistant creating the new partition, 200 GB. However, when I insert the Windows 7 DVD and the computer restarts in the Win 7 install screen it tells me that I cannot install Windows on the selected partition (which I expected to see.) So I choose "format" the further format the partition. It doesn't ask me how I would like to partition this, but just seems to start. All seems to go fine until it finishes and i see the same message of "Windows cannot be installed in the selected partition." I can click on the format tab endlessly but it still doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas? I've called Apple and their technicians keep telling me that I need to reinstall the Mac OS again, which I've tried. It doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks in advance for your help,

DTK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have had a chance to look around a little bit, but haven't really found an answer to the problem that I'm having.

I have an imac and I'm attempting to use boot camp. I have used it in the past, with prior versions of mac os x, but this is the first time that I have tried it with 10.6.8. The first thing I found out is that I can't use Windows XP, even with service pack 2 installed, because it doesn't find the "boot camp" partition. So, I recently obtained a full retail copy of Windows 7 and have been trying to install it. I have no problem with the boot camp assistant creating the new partition, 200 GB. However, when I insert the Windows 7 DVD and the computer restarts in the Win 7 install screen it tells me that I cannot install Windows on the selected partition (which I expected to see.) So I choose "format" the further format the partition. It doesn't ask me how I would like to partition this, but just seems to start. All seems to go fine until it finishes and i see the same message of "Windows cannot be installed in the selected partition." I can click on the format tab endlessly but it still doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas? I've called Apple and their technicians keep telling me that I need to reinstall the Mac OS again, which I've tried. It doesn't seem to help either.

Let's start from scratch here. Run the Boot Camp Assistant and select the option to "Create or remove a Windows partition", then restore the drive back to single volume. Once done, you should only have 1 partition covering the entire drive. You can verify this with Disk Utility. Reboot, then re-run the Boot Camp Assistant. Be sure you have either your original disc that came with your Mac ready for use, or have downloaded the Windows drivers as directed. If you have a Mac that predates Windows 7, you likely need to do the download and burn it to a disc. From here, it should be a simple matter of following the prompts. "Should" be. If not, please document the specific errors as best you can. And be certain you are starting with your drive partitioned as one volume.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried this four or five times now. I usually end up with the same error. Everything seems to go fine until the Windows installer starts. At that point it gives me an error message of "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." So, I then choose "advanced options" and then "format" and it seems like it's doing something, but then comes back with the same message....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried this four or five times now. I usually end up with the same error. Everything seems to go fine until the Windows installer starts. At that point it gives me an error message of "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." So, I then choose "advanced options" and then "format" and it seems like it's doing something, but then comes back with the same message....

Check this discussion to see if any of it helps. It would also be helpful to know which exact model of iMac you have. And what size drive you have (it IS an internal drive, right?).
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3094944?start=0&tstart=0

If there are no answers there that help, you may need to completely format your drive and start from scratch. But hold off on that for now.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow....That story sounds just like mine. I recently upgraded to the same Hitachi 3 TB Hard Drive...I have an early 2009 24" iMac. I'm wondering if there is a limit to the size hard drive that can be used along with boot camp...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow....That story sounds just like mine. I recently upgraded to the same Hitachi 3 TB Hard Drive...I have an early 2009 24" iMac. I'm wondering if there is a limit to the size hard drive that can be used along with boot camp...

The problem is definitely the drive and Windows 7 32-bit. From what I'm reading, you should be able to use the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and NO version of Windows XP.

EDIT: this isn't a problem with Macs, I should add. It's a problem with Windows. In fact, only Macs and a select few PCs that use EFI can boot from these drives, regardless of the OS.
Everything You Need to Know About 3TB Hard Drives

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just thought that I would let everyone know what I found out. Apparently the problem I am having is caused by a limitation in Windows. It cannot see a hard drive larger than 2.2 TB. So, by having a 3 TB drive in my iMac, even thought the Windows partition is only 150 GB, it will not work. So much for "bigger is better" when it comes to Windows. Thanks all for your help....

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just thought that I would let everyone know what I found out. Apparently the problem I am having is caused by a limitation in Windows. It cannot see a hard drive larger than 2.2 TB. So, by having a 3 TB drive in my iMac, even thought the Windows partition is only 150 GB, it will not work. So much for "bigger is better" when it comes to Windows. Thanks all for your help….

In other words, exactly what I posted 2 days ago. And you should be able to use the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually, the 64-bit version won't work either, unfortunately. But yes, otherwise you are correct. Apparently it's not just this particular drive either, but it looks like anything above 2.2 TB will cause the same issue. I guess that means no boot camp partition for me, unless I put a smaller hard drive in....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the 64-bit version won't work either, unfortunately. But yes, otherwise you are correct. Apparently it's not just this particular drive either, but it looks like anything above 2.2 TB will cause the same issue. I guess that means no boot camp partition for me, unless I put a smaller hard drive in....

Have you tried the 64-bit version of Windows 7? Because from what I've read, it should boot off it. Here's one source:
Western Digital Announces 2.5 and 3 Terabyte Hard Drives | PCWorld

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
LB, this is off that WD URL.

"Mac users should know that WD's new drives do not support Boot Camp, therefore they cannot be used as a dual-boot hard drive."

Very strange.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, I've been trying the 64 bit version and it gives the exact same problems. When it comes time to install Win 7 in the Windows installer it won't format it correctly. It does go through the format portion in boot camp, but Windows still sees it as a GPT partition, which it doesn't like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

"Mac users should know that WD's new drives do not support Boot Camp, therefore they cannot be used as a dual-boot hard drive."

Very strange.

Aha. I missed that part. Strange it is.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, that is weird....Mine is made by Hitachi but suffers the same problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Very strange.

Nice catch. And it is an oddity that they promote a new drive of that capacity knowing that it can't be used for dual boot support in Boot Camp. I wonder if there is a work - around?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I sure hope there is. That is not cool at all as many could use a 3TB drive in their desktop systems.

OP
D
Reaction score
I sure wish there was. I have 3 TB that's waiting to be used for mac os x and Windows 7...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.