• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

cushion for MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
On July 8th I took a digger on my bicycle and broke my femur. For the foreseeable future I am stuck on the couch or in a wheel chair. I am using my MBP by putting it on my bare thighs. But as you might guess, the Mac get a bit HOT and I can only use it for a short while.

Do you have any suggestions for a lap cushion I. I am thinking of something like a bean bag bottom and a hard flat top (for the Mac)

Thanks
Monty

femur-1.jpg

femur-2.jpg

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly what I am looking for

I was going about 20mph in the beautiful country side of Wisconsin. I was told later that I hit a patch of hydraulic fluid. I guess a piece of farm equipment had a major leak. One minute I am happily riding along, the next minute I was bouncing on my left hip/leg. It really got my attention :)

Tje good news is, I can expect a 100% recovery

Thanks
Monty

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Oooh, hope you're doing ok. (My boss just broke her tibia last week. In her mid-70s and still a go getter.)

I use one of the Rain Design lapstands - not cheap, but it is pretty comfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I can second the iLap Bob's mentioning. I hit something during a century last year and went down at about the same speed (I have no memory of the entire thing). I was much luckier than you though and only did soft tissue damage. Heal up well and get back to riding!

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Defiantly cannot wait to start riding again. I was training for the 300k Dairyland Dare and I was getting in good shape. In the two weeks prior to the the crash, I logged 800 miles. Maybe next year :)

I guess I should show you the "after" x-ray. Airports should be fun now!

femur-3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
That looks like a fun ride! I miss riding in WI, there is some great riding there! (of course, I miss seeing green things)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
I use a Belkin lap pad with a USB fan. Really helps keep the computer cool and my lap from not burning up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Get some one to snag a tray from a McDonald's, take a pillow and duct tape it to the tray

/thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD
Auch, hope you have a fast recovery!
I also have the iLap and I love it! For me bean bags get kinda warm, especially in the summer and I dislike that. The iLap has a much smaller part that sits on your legs so I'm perfectly comfy with it. I use it all the time because I love keeping my notebook on my lap.

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of your suggestions. My wife was in WalMart (ugh) and spotted this for $8.00 Not perfect but the price was right!

femur-4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
you at least look like you're drugged enough to not be in excruciating pain constantly... that is one bad-*** bruise on your leg though, ouch! looks like problem was solved, but here's wishing to a speedy recovery!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
One thing I'm happy to see are the socks, having a clot is not fun, I'm presently on my #2.
I pulled a superman once on my moutain bike,coming down this hill, it's amazing the things you can avoid once you learn how to fly...
Take care and fast recovery...

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I'm happy to see are the socks, having a clot is not fun, I'm presently on my #2.
I pulled a superman once on my moutain bike,coming down this hill, it's amazing the things you can avoid once you learn how to fly...
Take care and fast recovery...

You are on you 2nd blood clot? OMG!! That is terrible. I am also taking blood thinners to prevent clotting. I have to give myself a shot in the belly once a day.

Yes randalthor, I have pain pills, but I am slowly weening myself off of them

I have my MBP backed up and ready for Lion tomorrow morning! All is good here in Oshkosh.

Monty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
First one was 2007 and this one was diagnosed just last Wednesday, can't ride for 6 weeks... my last day of work was July3, off until october, guess what I was planning for this summer.
Yup, daily injections for a while then who knows what it will be for the rest of my life...

*sigh*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.