Ive tried everything, and the audio on my macbook still wont work!

Reaction score
I have looked through forums for a couple days now and still cannot find the answer to why my audio will not work on my macbook (7,1 , running on snow leopard 10.6.3)
Symptoms:
*No volume control icon on top right of screen
*When the volume buttons are pushed (f11, f12), the 'speaker' part of the audio pop up is grayed out, and there is a small circle with a line through under the volume level measurement meter
*There is NO red light coming from the headphone jack, and i dont use the headphones often
*In System Preferences>Sound, no audio input/output can be found
*Sound does work for the Startup Chime, but nowhere else
*Apple hardware test did not help
*Applications>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup, could not find any input/output for the audio
I am stuck and nothing is working. Help?

OP
J
Reaction score
I think it is the newest one it says its a macbook7,1 if that helps. I just recently erased the old hard drive and did a new clean install with snow leopard 10.6.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As BlueRoom suggested . . . . .DL 10.6.8 Combo Update install. Repair Permssions via Disk Utility on yourHD Log out then back in and report back.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks guys, it was as simple as upgrading my operating system. i dont know how/why it worked but it did!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.