Question Regarding Startup

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook and its working prefect, not a complaint at all. I can boot into Mac and Windows with no problem by holding down the "Option" key at startup and selecting which OS I want to use.

But as for my question, is there a way for the computer to automatically go to the screen that you get when you hold the Option key down? Instead of booting into Mac (my preferred OS) on its own? I regularly play games on my Windows partition and its a bit annoying to keep having to hold the Option key down anytime I want to use Windows.

I only use Windows to game and Mac for anything else, so this would be really helpful since I use them both equally throughout my day. Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Not sure I understand what you wish to do, but.... You can set the default operating system that your Mac boots to upon startup two ways:

1. In OS X Snow Leopard: System Preferences, Startup Disk. Select Boot Camp as default.

2. In Windows 7: Control Panel, Boot Camp. Set Windows 7 as the default.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the OP wants to be able to go to the "boot loader" screen which pops up each time you boot with the Option key pressed. He wants that to be the default so you don't have to hold the key down each time. I think I have seen something about this before but it may take a while to find it.

OP
K
Reaction score
I think the OP wants to be able to go to the "boot loader" screen which pops up each time you boot with the Option key pressed. He wants that to be the default so you don't have to hold the key down each time. I think I have seen something about this before but it may take a while to find it.

That is exactly what I am looking for actually, but I couldn't think of a name for that screen that appears when you hold down "Option". If I just google searched "boot loader" would it give me the results I need?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That is exactly what I am looking for actually, but I couldn't think of a name for that screen that appears when you hold down "Option". If I just google searched "boot loader" would it give me the results I need?

OK, sorry I misunderstood what you wanted. Thanks to Slydude I now know. What you're looking for is "rEFIt". It's free and will do exactly what you want. Read the instructions carefully before installing.

OP
K
Reaction score
It seems that after using windows for a few days, I don't use it quite as much as I thought that I would. I appreciate all the help and if my gaming becomes more frequent on the windows partition I will definitely consider downloading rEFIt for the future reference.

Thank you for your responses!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.