How do I uninstall software on the Macs?

A

AlexN

How do I uninstall software on the Macs? There are no options as uninstalling, and most apps don't come with uninstaller. Anyone?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
you don't

AlexN said:
How do I uninstall software on the Macs? There are no options as uninstalling, and most apps don't come with uninstaller. Anyone?

Thanks

hey

you don't uninstall on a mac - there is no such thing

find the thing you no longer want

then drag it to the trash - thats it :doctor:

regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
Just drag it to the trash!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
brendan67 said:
hey

you don't uninstall on a mac - there is no such thing

find the thing you no longer want

then drag it to the trash - thats it :doctor:

regards

hey u posted just before me

OP
A

AlexN

Won't they install some preference files to the system? For example, I downloaded the Firefox, if I decided I no longer, do I just drag the firefox.app to the trash? It should have some folder for cache, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
uninstall

AlexN said:
Won't they install some preference files to the system? For example, I downloaded the Firefox, if I decided I no longer, do I just drag the firefox.app to the trash? It should have some folder for cache, etc.

hey

nope

drag to trash job done

regards :doctor:

OP
J

joeytomatoes

Empty trash ... Duh. Its gone.
Take it out of trash before you MT Trash if you decide you want to keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Be careful when you speak in absolutes.

There are several threads on this topic in the forums: many apps write preference files and whatnot to the ~user/Library and /Library directories, and deleting the app does not get rid of them. You may want to look through those directories to get rid of things that are put there by various installers-- I got rid of GarageBand, and found almost another 2 GB of related files in one of the Library directories.

OP
A

AlexN

caribiner23 said:
many apps write preference files and whatnot to the ~user/Library and /Library directories, and deleting the app does not get rid of them. You may want to look through those directories to get rid of things that are put there by various installers-- I got rid of GarageBand, and found almost another 2 GB of related files in one of the Library directories.

That's what I'm talking about. So, what is the correct way to uninstall software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
AlexN said:
That's what I'm talking about. So, what is the correct way to uninstall software?
99% of the time, simply Trashing the application is enough.

One of the reasons Uninstall is needed under Windows is the "DLL ****" problem, which arises when two programs rely on the same DLL (or some other shared library.) When this happens, if you don't Uninstall one of them properly, the other program won't run either.

Mac apps don't do that. They're usually self-contained: all their libraries are stored inside the application file itself. (A few utilities aren't, but they should include an "Uninstall" or "Remove" script like on Windows.)

So removing a Mac app is as simple as Trashing the application. Afterward, though, some pieces might be left behind. For most apps, these are tiny, and only take up a few KB each. (For example, OmniGraffle's left-behinds would total 15.6 KB. Firfox seems to have left about 20K on my disk, but that could be up to 50MB or more depending on what your cache settings were.)

Badly behaved programs like GarageBand might leave behind gigabytes of documents behind. For that kind of thing, you can run a Spotlight search for the application name ("Garage," for example) but be careful not to accidentally Trash anything that just happens to have Garage in its name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
It is surprising that so many apps are so simple on a Mac!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Just what I wanted to know. I bought myself a mac mini on eBay and am liking it very much. Sounds to simple to be true really.

OP
S

sursuciofla

I just type App name or a certain keyword in finder then go and delete the related files. Because like stated earlier in thread, just trashing App icon doesn't get rid of everything. Some third party software does in fact come with a folder and it sometimes contains an uninstaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
deleting the .plist files are not needed, there are other files that can be associated with the program that could be alot bigger and therefore needed to be deleted to save space. I leave the .plist files on there incase i install the program on there later i will still have my prefferences.

Reaction score
Gee how many ways do I love my new Mac? ......hmmmmm let me count the ways (this is just one more example)!!

Reaction score
Yes, drag to the trash ... but....

there will be some residual files in places like preferences and support files.etc. It's not a problem but they may be there. I normally use spotlight to find anything related to the software i trashed and then i go get it and trash it also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.