data partition problem

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro with 3 partitions HD :Osx last version Win7 on bootcamp and a Data partition (Mac journal)
I bought an ext HD and divided in 3 partitions also in order to backup each one separetely but I have problem with the Data one being formated Mac journal
Being in Mac partition my Data partition does not show up and I don't understand why, the other two are.
Would the order they were entered in makes a difference. They are in sequence Mac, Win 7 and Data as on my HD
How to make all this practical?
Please help

OP
C
Reaction score
adding

I did tried to change the Data partition file system to FAT 32 on the ext HD. It makes the Data partition available to backup but of course an error message shows when I want to transfer the Data partition on my actual HD to it. Of course because the file system is different Mac to Fat32. So I am still stucked not being able to backup my Data partition and also surprised no expert came to the rescue. But still hoping....:Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would the order they were entered in makes a difference. They are in sequence Mac, Win 7 and Data as on my HD

The Windows 7 partition should be last on the hard drive. And, you can't backup a Mac formatted partition to a FAT-32 partition using backup software. The only way you can do it is by straight copying file by file.

Why do you need three partitions on the drive anyway?

OP
C
Reaction score
The Windows 7 partition should be last on the hard drive. And, you can't backup a Mac formatted partition to a FAT-32 partition using backup software. The only way you can do it is by straight copying file by file.

Why do you need three partitions on the drive anyway?

I am hoping to keep the system partitions as free as possible of data common to both system and only backup the data more often than the system ones.

I was suspecting that was the problem the order on the HD.
Is there a safe and simple way of moving the order around as you suggest
thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was suspecting that was the problem the order on the HD.
Is there a safe and simple way of moving the order around as you suggest
thanks in advance

Unfortunately there is no way to move the partitions around without destroying the entire hard drive integrity. The only solution is to blow away both the data partition and Boot Camp and then start over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.