• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple says Mac OS X Lion due soon, invites developers to submit apps

Reaction score
Apple says Mac OS X Lion due soon, invites developers to submit apps

Apple on Monday formally invited developers to begin submitting applications written for Mac OS X Lion its new Mac App Store, promising that a next-generation operating system will be release "soon."

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This teasing is getting ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason that Apple has yet to give us a release date.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Maybe Apple is as apathetic about it as many of us enthusiasts who don't want our Macs to look like iPads ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
The word 'soon' is worse than expecting it any day! now I don`t expect any time soon, guessing 20th and on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
This teasing is getting ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason that Apple has yet to give us a release date.

There's actually a huge reason: marketing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well staff at Apple Stores have been advised one night this week will be an all night shift updating all on floor and uncartoned stock to Lion. The tip is for Wednesday night.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's going to be quite a task if they decide to update everything in stock as well as what's already on display. I don't believe they'll dig into the sealed boxes - although I guess anything is possible?

The real task is going to be the load on the Apple servers trying to accommodate the download demands. I can remember trying to download service pack updates for Windows from MS and how hard it was to get a connection. And those downloads were meager compared to the 4 GB or so download for Lion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's going to be quite a task if they decide to update everything in stock as well as what's already on display. I don't believe they'll dig into the sealed boxes - although I guess anything is possible?

The real task is going to be the load on the Apple servers trying to accommodate the download demands. I can remember trying to download service pack updates for Windows from MS and how hard it was to get a connection. And those downloads were meager compared to the 4 GB or so download for Lion.

I'm going to guess that the massive data center in NC is going to host the back-end for the MAS. Let's hope there's plenty of fiber running to that complex! I know when major updates like 10.6.8 come out, whatever data center hosts them tends to get a little strained for the first day or so.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I just want to wake up one morning and check my RSS feeds to find out it's been released. I'm sure they'll probably give us a few days warning.

AppleInsider is predicting Friday, since that's when Apple tends to release their OSes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just want to wake up one morning and check my RSS feeds to find out it's been released. I'm sure they'll probably give us a few days warning.

AppleInsider is predicting Friday, since that's when Apple tends to release their OSes.

I keep hearing the 14th. I hope that will be the day. Friday would be fine also! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm thinking it won't be too bad. They can just push the new image out to all the machines in the store over the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm not sure it would be a Friday this time. Most IT-centric places (and this release is far more IT-centric given it's a download) don't like to have major production releases right before the weekend.

I think they'd want to start it on Thursday in case there are any issues with the data center.

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound a bit off topic, but weren't developers already developing for Lion during the beta releases? (I know nothing about how developers work with Apple OSs)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm not sure it would be a Friday this time. Most IT-centric places (and this release is far more IT-centric given it's a download) don't like to have major production releases right before the weekend.

I think they'd want to start it on Thursday in case there are any issues with the data center.

If that means a day early, then I'm all for it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this is going to sound a bit off topic, but weren't developers already developing for Lion during the beta releases? (I know nothing about how developers work with Apple OSs)

Sure they could have been developing, but now Apple is formally accepting apps that are Lion compatible which will be tested and listed as such in the MAS.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's actually a huge reason: marketing.
How is withholding the date any more beneficial from a marketing standpoint than giving consumers a definitive date? Its not as if it creates any more interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is withholding the date any more beneficial from a marketing standpoint than giving consumers a definitive date? Its not as if it creates any more interest.

Well look who keeps talking about when it will be? :p

It's secretive, it's what Apple does, it's part of their marketing strategy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Keep talking about it and you're doing exactly what Apple wants! How many Apple products have you known an exact release date on?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone here (and in other Apple communities) are talking about it to other Apple users. If there was a date (or no date), we'd all still be talking about it. Most others couldn't care less what the date is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you want a date because you're a control freak....remember the baton? We had to take that away from you. iWhat complained too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.