• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recapture pictures

Reaction score
About 4 years ago I created an iMovie with 700 pictures on my G5. Somehow over those years, I have lost access to those pictures. (I am reasonably sure its not a hardware failure problem -- the files may have been overwritten when I was moving files between my MacBook and the G5.) The iMovie files are fine and I can view them just as they were created and saved. Is there a way to reverse engineer iMovie and capture/reload the pictures to iPhoto? If not, is there another way to recapture these pictures. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you use Time Machine or some form of back up?

OP
H
Reaction score
No, I did not use any form of back up. I thought I had saved it to another hard drive but it turns out I didn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Four years ago suggests you are talking about iMovie HD. If so, see if you can open up the project in the Finder by right clicking on it and choosing 'Show Package Contents'. Perhaps copies of some sort are in that directory structure. If so, the aspect ratio maybe warped and need adjusting.

I can't remember if you can export your resources from that version of iMovie but it would be worth looking into. If so, 700 image would take a while to go through.

The last option maybe to convert the DVD to a QuickTime file and use something to export every frame. QuickTime Player 7 Pro can do that via Export-->'Movie to Image Sequence'. Use the Options... and the Options... of that to control the export parameters. For instance you likely don't want to use 30 frames per second. Keep in mind this is the lowest quality option.

OP
H
Reaction score
I am not the most computer savvy person around but it looks like I have iMovie 3.03. I do have Quick Time but not v7. I will check out your suggestions and let you know. Thanks very much for your advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.