How to clone?

Reaction score
Hi there, i'm having trouble figuring out how to clone my mac.

i'd like to mac a copy of it and put it on an external before i update to lion.
Pro tools (ie. my livelihood) is notoriously bad for keeping up with apples OS updates and their updates usually come month(s) after. So my solution to this was maybe i could put my mac as is on an external and that way when i need to use pro tools i can boot form that external and use snow leopard.

and then when lion comes out i can just use my mac unitl pro tools gets updated.

willt his work? if so, how would i go about copying my mac as is now to a external

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
SuperDuper!
or
Carbon Copy Cloner

Both free. It's really easy and I've used SD! for a while now with no issues. External must be formatted as HFS+ using Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into 'About this Mac', 'More Information', 'Serial-ATA' and look for file system towards the bottom of the entry. As a suggestion buy the registered version of SuperDuper. it is many, many times faster than the free unregistered version, and Smart Backup will do a weekly clone in about four minutes keeping your external disk up to date and bootable.

OP
the.gosine
Reaction score
Well everything worked :)
i have a question now.

do i basically have 2 macs now? the version on the external still has all my old programs i'd like to delte it and only keep my work programs, can i do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. With the external connected, go into Disk Utility on the MBP, select the external drive and hit the 'Erase' button. Then do a Repair Disk to check out the drive. Make sure you have selected the external drive before this will work.

OP
the.gosine
Reaction score
thanks harry, got a clone on my external now!
i'm gonna start uninstalling applications and its like i have two macs :p

like my personal laptop soon to be on lion with everything on it

and an external i can boot off of with only work applications on snow leopard

makes sense right? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To boot from the external you will need an operating system regardless if it be Lion or Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.