• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Why OS X Lion is the biggest test for digital downloads

Reaction score
Why is Lion the "biggest test"? Linux distros have been distributing their OSes over the 'net for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why is Lion the "biggest test"? Linux distros have been distributing their OSes over the 'net for years.

I see, probably because Lion is a far bigger download and way more mainstream than Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I see, probably because Lion is a far bigger download and way more mainstream than Linux?

Not to mention the App Store will be taking the full brunt of the huge download bandwidth costs. Within hours of a Linux distro release, there are multiple mirrors and torrent trackers hard at work. Lion is more a test of whether an OS download scheme is viable for companies that want to make money and thus would probably distribute through a centralized store where there is some level of control. A more comparable example of software distribution might be Steam, though that's for games.

All that said, I think it should go pretty smoothly... Amazon and Steam have offered downloads at least as large.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I believe it's going to be a big test simply because it will be in the spotlight. No one really cares about Linux's ability to be fetched off the internet...which is why they had that phrase, "It's free...what did you expect?"

Reaction score
I might upgrade. There's probably a few things I need to do first...like back up my Mac on Time Machine, and then cleanly install Snow Leopard (not quite looking forward to this though - the plethora of updates to be able to even upgrade to Lion I believe will take awhile).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I might upgrade. There's probably a few things I need to do first...like back up my Mac on Time Machine, and then cleanly install Snow Leopard (not quite looking forward to this though - the plethora of updates to be able to even upgrade to Lion I believe will take awhile).

plethora ??

You may want to try the single download of the combo 10.6.8.

Reaction score
I think I'll be doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard just before I download and install Lion too...

Reaction score
plethora ??

You may want to try the single download of the combo 10.6.8.

*facepalm*

You mean to tell me when I clean install Snow Leopard, and I go into software update, it'll throw me a combo update of 10.6.8?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
*facepalm*

You mean to tell me when I clean install Snow Leopard, and I go into software update, it'll throw me a combo update of 10.6.8?

If it does not, go to Apple and grab the 10.6.8 Combo Updater and run it.

I am doing a clean install once I download Lion on a separate partition. Will say more when Lion is officially released. I will still need 10.6.8 for some older Apps, so will be Dual Booting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And to save you all that time looking, here is a link. The download is over 1GB so good practice for Lion:-

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo

Reaction score
*facepalm*

I reinstalled snow leopard last Sunday and I only had to run software update twice and only because I forgot to wait to have installed iLife '11 before running it at all

Would only have needed to run it once had I waited I think

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
*facepalm*

Nope, not available through Software Update.

Head for the link harryb provided for direct download. I was at work when I made that post yesterday and didn't have time to grab it for you.

Reaction score
Nope, not available through Software Update.

Head for the link harryb provided for direct download. I was at work when I made that post yesterday and didn't have time to grab it for you.

Ah. I see. Well, thanks guys. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.