How can you tell? 64 bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hello all, of course I'm quite new to the Mac world so can anyone please tell me how to tell if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit machine? I have an 27 iMac and I would love to know.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on software to use to create a design short video clips for my church? It would be stuff like sermon illustrations that would probably some video, audio and text and I would like to kind of animate them all together. Just some suggestions if you got them.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac 27" is 64 bit.

Do you have a copy of MS Office for the Mac? Or iWork? Either Powerpoint or Keynote can be used with embedded video and audio to make an animated presentation. iMovie (which you already have) can be used to create the video.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Fantastic folks!! You guys are very wonderful.

I have a "Intel Core i5" so according to the Apple chart, I am running 64 bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Fantastic folks!! You guys are very wonderful.

I have a "Intel Core i5" so according to the Apple chart, I am running 64 bit.

Not to pick on semantics but you are 64 bit "capable". You aren't "running" in 64 bit mode unless you restart and hold the "6" and "4" keys down. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
He is probably asking to find out if he can run lion. As long as it was made from 2008+ it's 64 Bit.

C

chas_m

It's worth noting here -- as it is an area that has already garnered a LOT of misconception -- that it really doesn't matter if you're "running" 64-bit or not unless you have more than 16GB of RAM on board. The important thing is to be 64-bit CAPABLE as pointed out above (for compatibility reasons).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.