Musician looking to change to mac - Question

Reaction score
Hey fellow musicians,

I am a local singer songwriter and have been using a PC for the past 5 years to record my albums. I want to make the switch to Mac to record my music and have heard great things about garageband and other apps for mac. Ive also heard macs record much better quality music than that of a pc especially my analog mixer attached my a mic.

Anyways, heres the deal. Money is strapped right now with my kids and I need to buy a cheap mac. Theyve been around long enough now that Im starting to see some older macs go for great prices.

For all you MAC gurus out there - What is the best Mac I could buy that all im using it for is recording my music. Is there a possibility of getting a great sound out of something 4-5 years old?

Whats your take?

Thanks!
Joe

C

chas_m

I would not recommend anything older than a Core2Duo Intel Mac (circa 2007 and up) for pretty much anything anymore. Not that you couldn't do it with an older Mac (possibly), but they are down a technological rabbit hole with no upgrade path.

Personally I'd suggest either a recent iMac or Mac mini (2009 and up). Well worth the bucks, and can run the most up-to-date versions of Garageband or Logic Express or whatever you choose to use for recording.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.