Formatting

T

Tel

I'm just about to format and re-install Tiger onto my iBook because its hard drive is clogged to bits right now. All my important stuff like music and photos are all backed up to my external hard drive and I just want to clean out the whole thing and start fresh. There's only a few things I need to know:

1. What file do I need to save to keep my iTunes playcounts etc? Also, is there a file that will save all of my other application details, such as my Safari bookmarks and my iPhoto folders?

2. I would also like to know if it is possible to keep my keychain, can I copy a file over so that it will automatically remember all of my passwords?

3. I want to optimize my iBook for maximum hard drive space. I've never formatted and installed a Mac before, so what things do I want to leave off of the install and what do I defiantly need.

+rep to everyone that helps :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. In the iTunes directory you need to save the iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Library (iTunes Database File)

2. I don't think that is possible

3. You can't really customize the install too much so just put it in and go

OP
S

sursuciofla

Yeah, for iTunes I just copy the whole iTunes Folder in Music. I am not sure about the other Apps though. I don't know about keychain so I will ditto trpn on that one. And just like he said just install, I think you need everything unless you want to leave some of those Apps like Worldbook Quicken and MSN off. I mean if you don't use some of the apps then uncheck them in custom install.

OP
T

Tel

There's a couple of solutions :)

What about deleting a load of crap such as languages I'm never going to use, how do I go about doing that? Also is there anything else I can do to a standard Tiger install to get a bit more from my hard drive?

Also, I'd still like confirmation on the whole keychain situation, and I still need to know what files I need from other apps such as Safari and iPhoto. I'll be doing it as soon as I get the answers.

Thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Languages have to be deleted using http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13503

I can't find anything on KeyChain anywhere and I think part of the reason is because there probably is no simple solution if there is one. Keychain is made to protect all of your passwords and the like, I don't think apple would make it easy for somebody to just back it all up

Safari...just export your bookmarks (File -> Export Bookmarks).
iPhoto...just back up the whole iPhoto folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
If you have a .Mac account you can use Backup save your keychains. Even with a trial account. Your keychain is a very small file. you could also just copy it from

user/system/keychains/login.keychain

...I did this when did my clean install, just replace the new file with the new one then open keychain access and behold the magic. Same goes for Safari

user/system/safari/Bookmarks.plist,History.plist,Downloads.plist,Form Values

...pick what you want.

definitely more comprehensive to use Backup tho.

OP
J

Joolz34

If I remember rightly I read somewhere on these forums that during the install theres a tick box or something on one of the screens that you select which allows you to customise the installed components. In there you can then deselect the languages you dont want to have installed.
If you miss it just run tinkertools to get rid of the extra languages. You could also save some space by removing any unneeded printer drivers that you wont be using.

Joolz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.